View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2012, 11:14 AM

Cat owners - can I have your opinions please?

As some of you know I make synthetic products for horses and dogs mostly, someone has suggested that with a section of elastic in them, the hi viz collars I make might be useful for cats, making them more visible when out and about, I don't have much experience with cats, so I thought I would ask your advice/opinions.

I asked this question on another forum and they say snap release collars are the only oned to be used on cats (are these the same as the plastic side release clips on dog collars?) and that elastic would allow a cat to get it's front leg caught in the collar.

My plan was to use plastic side release clips and use elastic (or other suitable material) between the plastic buckle and the beta giving a breaking point if the cat got stuck.

As I am not overly familiar with cats, would 1-2 inches of elastic really be enough stretch for a cat to get it's leg caught in the collar?
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2012, 11:16 AM
The snap release collars pull open with enough tension....you don't need the release clips on the side
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Google seems to throw up pics of standard side release clips when I type in snap release cat collar?
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2012, 12:04 PM
to be honest both are useless, i use a buckle collar on my cats, because i found the safety collars wern't so safe, the elastic does get round the cats front legs (infact my mums cat came back with hers trapped all her fur rubbed off and starting to embed, wound all better now but waiting on fur growing back, no collar for her) and the snap release collars, the slightest but of pressure and thats it they are gone!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2012, 01:18 PM
I can't really comment one which is best etc...I sell both types...but my cats don't wear collars!

Rogz do snap release collars that you can change the tension (right word?), so the heavier a cat weighs would need more weight to snap it open.......sorry if that makes no sense at all :/
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-10-2012, 07:05 PM
I've had a cat get their leg caught in the elastic part of a commercially bought "safety" collar before. I've also had a few come back from their adventures naked in the past - so the snap release part obviously worked OK in those cases.

I wouldn't personally put anything not safety-release on a cat that goes outdoors - I'll just about do it on my cat but she's an indoor cat that doesn't climb on things because of missing a leg.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2012, 12:44 AM
Dont use them. We bought collars with snap release (which didn't work) and elastic. Twice our eldest got his leg caught in the elastic collar and got caught wearing the snap release - if it hasn't been for Katie our older Boxer going to,fetch my mother (I was at work) we don't think Tim would be here today. As he was jumping down off furniture the collar somehow got caught and he was literally left strangling. Never put a collar on any of them since. They are all microchipped except for the kitten, he will be chipped when he goes in to be neutered x

I honestly don't believe that elastic is a good idea for cats and after what happened with the quick release collar - that didn't release, I don't know what the answer is - sorry - not much help
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2012, 05:05 PM
ive given up with collars for my cats, no matter what you put on my ginger cat she will loose within the day, i think her record for collars is 4 days..

i wish they stayed on, because i dont want people to think my cats are random strays, but they just dont last and i waste money replacing them all the time!
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2012, 12:26 PM
Cats and collars do not mix especiallly outdoor cats but the example here re the indoor cat!

I tried way back with an avid hunter; collars with bells vanished and yep; leg caught and abcess

So now i shout "KILLER COMING!" for the birds