View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-10-2012, 06:51 AM

A teenager has had emergency surgery to remove her stomach after drinking a cocktail

Why would you sell them in the first place!!!!!
A teenager has had emergency surgery to remove her stomach after drinking a cocktail containing liquid nitrogen.

Lancashire Police say the 18-year-old woman was out with friends in Lancaster on Thursday 4 October when it happened.

She is reported to have become breathless and developed severe stomach pain before being taken to hospital.

Officers say she would have died if doctors had not performed the urgent operation.

The woman, from Heysham in Lancashire, was taken to the Lancaster Royal Infirmary at 23:00 BST.

She was diagnosed with a perforated, or pierced stomach. The 18-year-old is now is a serious but stable condition.

Lancashire Police have not named the place where she bought the cocktail, but say it has stopped selling it: "The premises involved have fully cooperated with all agencies and have suspended drinks involving liquid nitrogen" a spokesperson said.

They say they are looking into what happened:

"The investigation is still in its early stages and we are still interviewing witnesses to establish the full facts".

The force told Newsbeat they have been warning other bars in the town about what has happened.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2012, 06:52 AM
Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez Hope she recovers
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2012, 08:01 AM
I think someone needs to talk to the girl about the Darwin Principle.
and tell her that just because the nice man says it`s ok, doesn`t mean you should do it.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-10-2012, 08:09 AM
i want to say a chefs name ,but i wont as he had nothing to do with it..lol
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-10-2012, 08:24 AM
Here is part of the article Murf - I have snipped out the chef's name.

Liquid nitrogen, which evaporates at minus 196°C. has become increasingly common as a method for instantly freezing food and drinks or creating an impressive cloud of vapour
...[snip]...
But it should only ever be used as a method to chill glasses or freeze ingredients as it can cause internal damage when inhaled or ingested.

If swallowed, the liquid can freeze parts of the mouth, throat or stomach, causing severe cold burns which destroy the tissue.

The liquid can also rapidly boil inside the stomach, creating a huge amount of vapour which could potentially cause damage such as perforations.
Mail Online
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2012, 08:30 AM
I would like to know exactly where she bought it, if it was from a cocktail bar. Why would anyone sell something like that???

Lancaster is my local town and I go there for a night out, in fact going on Friday and we do like to go to the cocktail bars.

Helen
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2012, 08:33 AM
That is seriously scary, poor girl, I hope she can make a recovery.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2012, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
I would like to know exactly where she bought it, if it was from a cocktail bar. Why would anyone sell something like that???
I'm guessing it's for the 'smoking' effect to make the cocktails a bit more unusual How terrible though, this girl will never live her life the same way ever again, all for the sake of a few quid profit for the bar.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2012, 08:38 AM
I heard this on the radio news this morning!
Shocking!
But also shocking as to why she would buy something containing it (presuming she knew)?
If it wasn't advertised, then thats bloody awful
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2012, 08:42 AM
Lancashire Police have not named the place where she bought the cocktail, but say it has stopped selling it: "The premises involved have fully cooperated with all agencies and have suspended drinks involving liquid nitrogen" a spokesperson said.

Wowie thats good of them
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >