Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vics
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-11-2009, 08:24 AM

Advocate Flea/Worm??

I took Beau (10 weeks) to the vets yesterday for his 2nd set of vaccinations. He was also due to be wormed too and his breeder had recommended Drontal puppy syrup. I asked the vet about this and was told 'oh, I'm going to use something on his neck for fleas and worming together'. I wasn't given an option and with that he just put Advocate on the back of Beau's neck.

How safe is this products for puppies and also humans? The product stinks really strong and I have 2 young children who obviously play with Beau! When can I bath him without the product coming off? Also, is this product good and will it cover all times of worm (apart from lungworm obviously)?

Thanks in advance.

Vics
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2009, 08:34 AM
I would make sure the kisd wash there hands after playing with him for a bit until the stuff is absorbed into his skin then it should be fine.

Vets have started to use this as it covers lung worm a pest which is on the increase in a lot of area and with all this wet weather bringing out the slugs you can see why! The only thing it doesnt cover is tape worm so you will need to combine this with a basic wormer too to get the full coverage. Most vets are changing there worming protoacol (sp?) to this now as some of the first symptoms of lung worm is sudden death
Vics
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-11-2009, 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
I would make sure the kisd wash there hands after playing with him for a bit until the stuff is absorbed into his skin then it should be fine.

Vets have started to use this as it covers lung worm a pest which is on the increase in a lot of area and with all this wet weather bringing out the slugs you can see why! The only thing it doesnt cover is tape worm so you will need to combine this with a basic wormer too to get the full coverage. Most vets are changing there worming protoacol (sp?) to this now as some of the first symptoms of lung worm is sudden death
Thanks for your reply. The vet told me that this wormer didn't cover lungworm because I asked specifically due to the fact Beau loves to eat slugs I'm really confused now! He never mentioned needing another wormer
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2009, 09:02 AM
Originally Posted by Vics View Post
Thanks for your reply. The vet told me that this wormer didn't cover lungworm because I asked specifically due to the fact Beau loves to eat slugs I'm really confused now! He never mentioned needing another wormer
Well we have used Advocate in the past for Cassie to treat mange and she seems to do better with this then other spot on treatments. We had Raina at the vets yesterday and were told they were no longer going to be using frontline and we would need to get Advocate for the other 2 as well. They have told us they are changing the whole practice worming thing over to a combination of Advocate and another one i cant remember the name of to cover all worms and fleas ect. She mentioned and so did the practice manager that this was because of lung worm as Advocate can prevent it but would not cover tape and round worm i think she said.

The web also seems to back this up so i would ask you vet to clarify things for you. Hope that helps.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2009, 09:55 AM
I am phobic about using this Since I spoke to a rep who said he would not fancy using it on a collie or any Ivermectin sensitive breed.

Its odd they have stopped using frontline - will they now accept other things for the Passport?
gsdgirl:-)
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-11-2009, 10:37 AM
Hia i have used Advocate since i've had Sam and to be honest i haven't had a problem, he also has a wormer.
xxx I would try not to bath him for a while after and like has been said ask the kids to wash hands well after playing
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2009, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I am phobic about using this Since I spoke to a rep who said he would not fancy using it on a collie or any Ivermectin sensitive breed.

Its odd they have stopped using frontline - will they now accept other things for the Passport?
ahh but who did the rep work for???

Advocate is very safe and effective,(ive used it on my lot for years including my collie)
the smell is the 'carrier',tapeworm isnt a concern really with a pup as fleas are a carrier and Advocate treats fleas,and yes advocate does treat lungworm,that is why we use it.
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-11-2009, 11:08 AM
I was given advocate for my puppy specifically because he eats slugs. The vet usually gives it to me in the tube though and I put it on him when he goes to bed. He did warn me that it can stain furniture, clothes etc?

The first couple of times I took Toby in he was also given drontal wormer, but last time we went I was told that if he hasn't had fleas he can't get tapeworm so not to bother with the drontal?

I'm confused about the relationship between fleas and worms, can anyone explain it please!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2009, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by wallaroo View Post
I was given advocate for my puppy specifically because he eats slugs. The vet usually gives it to me in the tube though and I put it on him when he goes to bed. He did warn me that it can stain furniture, clothes etc?

The first couple of times I took Toby in he was also given drontal wormer, but last time we went I was told that if he hasn't had fleas he can't get tapeworm so not to bother with the drontal?

I'm confused about the relationship between fleas and worms, can anyone explain it please!
hi
hope this helps
http://www.petsandparasites.org/dog-...tapeworms.html

if you use advocate regularly and your pup doesnt turn out to be a hunter,you will not need to use drontal.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2009, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
ahh but who did the rep work for???

Advocate is very safe and effective,(ive used it on my lot for years including my collie)
the smell is the 'carrier',tapeworm isnt a concern really with a pup as fleas are a carrier and Advocate treats fleas,and yes advocate does treat lungworm,that is why we use it.
Milbemax....he was actually saying that he would not risk using an ivermectin based product on a breed known to be sensitive - he was talking about milbemax, but included advocate in that!

This is what I found on the Bayer health care site...
Studies have been performed to determine the safety of Advocate when administered to ivermectin-sensitive collies. Ivermectin-sensitive collies were treated with up to five times the recommended dose for three consecutive treatments at 28-day intervals.

There were no clinical abnormalities or adverse reactions observed in any of the dogs. Work carried out to determine the safety of accidental oral uptake of Advocate in ivermectin-sensitive breeds of dog revealed that 10% of the unit dose given orally resulted in no adverse effects, while 40% resulted in severe neurological signs.

As with any product containing macrocyclic lactones, special care should be taken with Collies, Old English Sheepdogs and related breeds or crossbreeds, to correctly administer the product. In particular, oral uptake by the recipient and/or other animals should be avoided.
Just wouldn't want to risk it. I think Panacur does lungworm as well....I tend to alternate, drontal one treatment and panacur the next.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >