Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sheree
New Member!
Female 

03-10-2012, 09:37 AM

Food trials

Jess is on a Hill's vet prescription diet due to food allergies one seems to be chicken.
I have been trialling new biscuits would rather feed her Vegies rice and meat again but still working out what her allergies are.
I have just read a thread on someone saying there is something not quite right with Eukanuba before I trial her on this can someone tell me what the problem is?
I am currently trying Taste of the wild (smoked salmon) has anyone had any uses with this product think its made in the USA?
Thanks
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2012, 10:19 AM
There are as many opinions on dog food as there are dog food brands.

I personally would not feed Eukanuba and TOTW has been the subject of many food recalls.

If your vet has advised an elimination diet, surely the dog should be eating just that food and no other, and then gradually reintroducing SINGLE proteins to determine problems?
Sheree
New Member!
Female 

03-10-2012, 10:27 AM
Thanks for a reply. My vet wants me to trial Jess on all types of dry food and treats. She was only fed human food from 8 weeks old then at 2 she got itchy long story short she had a heap of different treats so he wanted to see what dry food other than prescription dry food.
I have checked up on totw on Australian web site and there was no recall comments so thought I'd check. As for the Eukanuba I was looking for the next trial food any suggestions for what I could use next? By the way the totw worked no itches.
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-10-2012, 12:19 PM
Do you have to keep on trying other foods if you've found one that suits her? To be honest if it was me I'd be inclined to stick with that and maybe gradually introduce a natural treat like tripe or fish sticks & see how she coped.
Sheree
New Member!
Female 

04-10-2012, 11:24 PM
I have found one dry food that works but unfortunately it is prescription from the vets only and I live nearly an hours drive from there. The vet suggested that I find one that I can buy locally would be better.
I am not a dry dog food person all of our dogs even as kids were fed humanly tucker so I am struggling with feeding jess dry food all the time and the same sort must be awfully boring.
Bint I was really just worried about what was a good dry food soooo many choices out there!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2012, 08:13 AM
Have you had her allergy tested to see what she is allergic to?
Much easier than trialing lots of foods, and when you find out, you can go back to feeding her 'human food', but without the bits she is allergic to.
Sheree
New Member!
Female 

06-10-2012, 04:33 AM
I would get her allergy tested but the dermatologist only comes once every three months and my vet seems to think that would be a waste of time. Jess is not allergic to my dam but is in my neighbours dam strange seeing its the same soil etc?
tiggers mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-10-2012, 07:22 PM
I know whats its like to have a dog with a dietary intolerance. I ended up feeding Fish4dogs diets years ago and have stuck with them for all my dogs since. Theres no red meat or chicken, no rubbish. They also have low fat treats and varieties of fish diets along with salmon and trout mousses and oils. Have a look at their web site www.fish4dogs.com and request a sample if you're not sure. I cant rate highly enough for my lot and the dog with the red meat intolerance....no problems now. Best of luck!
Sheree
New Member!
Female 

08-10-2012, 10:39 AM
Thanks tiggers mum (Mel) I really appreciate the new link to a new source of food that sounds positive.
Sheree and Jess
Bobbie 42
New Member!
Female 

23-10-2012, 03:30 PM
Maybe have a look at the Vets Kitchen food its made by the vets in practice Joe Ingles