Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2006, 04:01 PM

Help with joint stiffness and pain

Have Glusosamine & Chondroitin tablets that I take for myself, can I give them to my older dogs and if so how much, I only take one tablet a day.
Glucosamine 500mg
Chondroitin Sulphate 400mg
Manganese .5mg
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2006, 04:05 PM
That is exactly what the vet prescribed for Ozzy - he now has arthritis in the areas where he has cruciate problems.

I have found it does help him, worth a try for any other owners with similar probs in their dogs.

Good tip
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2006, 04:46 PM
Can you help me with dosage?
Abbey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-06-2006, 04:50 PM
The best combination i have found for overall stiffness is Green Lipped Muscle capsules - 500mg size - 1 tablet daily for first 6w, then 250mg daily thereafter, Glucosamine and Chondroitin as above. A good all combination tablet that contains all the above plus manganese and Vitamin C is Glycoflex - it comes in 3 stage form, stage 1 for dogs with early problems, stage 2 for more increased mobility and stage 2 for full blown acute stiffness. http://www.discountpetmedicines.com/...upplements.htm Our smooth Vizsla has OCD in her elbows, HD, DJD..and gets the above combination every day, this keeps her off Rimadyl or Metacam, i also have a Bioflow collar on her and she gets regular Reiki sessions. She exercises as normal, and the stiffness problems she did have are all but gone.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2006, 05:09 PM
Must say have tried Green Lipped Muscle capsules on a couple of occasions and found them no help at all, mind you that was a good few years ago but I don't suppose that the Green Lipped Muscle has changed it's properties in that time. Also tried what I think was call Shark skin or something like that it was good at extracting money from my pocket but did not help with joints.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-06-2006, 08:58 PM
In addition to the glucosamine-try also Devils Claw Jackie.This is a herbal anti-inflamatory which can be given safely with any type of veterinary,human or herbal medication.

I had Abe on them (along with glucosamine,cod liver oil,evening primrose oil) cause he had arthritis and these are 17mgs-one a day for humans and gave Abe the same.You cant apparently overdose on them and are perfectly safe.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

12-06-2006, 09:20 PM
Hi J yep you can give them to your dogs, you`ll find doses at link below

http://www.dogaware.com/arthritis.html#supplements

You might find you`ll have to sort of mix n match, sometimes what works for 1 doesn`t work for another & vice versa, much like with people.

Link below gives info on different supps that can be used as well, have also heard about devils claw being used with good results

http://www.viim.org/research/article...osteoarthritis
Abbey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-06-2006, 10:15 PM
I've heard of people using the shark cartilage, i tried these with Amber, but no joy, as someone else said, its a trial and error thing to a degree. I beleive large doses of Vitamin C can help joints, but the downside is it can also cause diahorrea.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

13-06-2006, 06:37 AM
Originally Posted by Abbey
I've heard of people using the shark cartilage, i tried these with Amber, but no joy, as someone else said, its a trial and error thing to a degree. I beleive large doses of Vitamin C can help joints, but the downside is it can also cause diahorrea.
You give Vit C to whats known as bowel tolerance A

If d/rear starts you cut back to a dose that doesn`t cause it & it stops straight away, also giving the form ester C & slow release may help
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2006, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by Thordell
Can you help me with dosage?
Hi Thordell - our vet prescribed 1ml of concentrated glucosamine powder once daily mixed with food. Ozzy weighs 6.5 stone if that helps