Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2007, 12:36 PM

Primary Inertia?

What is it, and what causes it?

I've had a look on t'internet, and a lot of the stuff is too complicated for my brain!

Does anyone have any knowledge, or any good links etc?

Thanks!
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2007, 01:01 PM
Primary uterine inerta ,is when the uterus fails to contract , cause usually because there is only one or two pups and there is insufficent stimulation in the uterus to indicate labour
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2007, 01:34 PM
Thanks DK!

What about when there are a large number of puppies (i.e. a normal litter size)?

Is it caused by something particular, or is it "one of those things" that can happen to any bitch?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2007, 01:35 PM
It can occur if there are too many puppies which have overstretched the uterus so it can't contract.
Becky
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2007, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Thanks DK!

What about when there are a large number of puppies (i.e. a normal litter size)?

Is it caused by something particular, or is it "one of those things" that can happen to any bitch?
I myself have never experienced it in my bitches , but think it can happen in small or large litters , hope that helps xxDK
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2007, 01:38 PM
Ah, I see....

So not enough, or too many pups, and the uterus can't contract and push them out.

Presumably, if there are an average number of pups, but they are all big, this can cause it too?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2007, 01:41 PM
Or it could just be lack of the appropriate hormone causing the contractions or just plain tired bitch.
Becky
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2007, 02:13 PM
Thanks guys... you've been very helpful, as always!
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2007, 02:25 PM
you might find this interesting - especially as it specifically relates to Boxers: http://www.actavetscand.com/content/49/1/8

in particular:

Uterine inertia is by far the most common cause of dystocia in dogs. It is classified into primary and secondary inertia. Primary complete uterine inertia is the failure of the uterus to begin labor at full term. Primary partial uterine inertia occurs when there is enough uterine activity to initiate parturition but it is insufficient to complete a normal birth of all fetuses, in the absence of an obstruction. Primary inertia can also be due to that the uterus fails to respond to the fetal signals because there are only one or two pups and thus insufficient stimulation to initiate labor (the single-pup syndrome) or because of overstretching of the myometrium by large litters, excessive fetal fluids, or oversized fetuses. Other causes of primary inertia may be an inherited predisposition, nutritional imbalance, fatty infiltration of the myometrium, age-related changes, deficiency of neuro-endocrine regulation, or systemic disease in the bitch. Secondary uterine inertia implies that some fetuses have been delivered while the remaining ones are left in utero due to exhaustion of the uterine myometrium caused by obstruction of the birth canal; this condition should be clearly distinguished from primary inertia [see [6]]. In the study by Darvelid & Linde-Forsberg (1994) [1] 72.0% of the bitches suffered from primary uterine inertia, compared to 42.1% of the bitches in the study by Gaudet (1985) [2].

hth
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2007, 05:39 PM
boxers are very prone to this and have expericend it with my own bitches,if one would get this im my experience they will experience it again and iwould tend not to breed them again,xx