Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
I lubz Mini Schnauzers
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-01-2006, 08:11 PM

Puppy growling, aggressive or normal?

Can someone tell me the difference between an aggressive growl, and a normal growl? Bear growled at my 5 year old niece today, and growled at me before for making her go toilie, but I don't know what type of growl it was and if it's a problem or not.
Jamie.
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-01-2006, 09:27 PM
my doggy has two distinct different growls. one that is play mode and one that is i am mad. to me the differance is in the tone and the situtation he is in. it doesn't happen often so when he does this i am right there. the i am mad growl is alot deeper in tone and more aggresive in his stance. the in play mode growl he has a grin on his face and the tail is wagging away. if the i am mad growl is there i remove him from where he is to a quieter place which is usually his crate. the crare isn't used always for punishment but rather for just a quiet plac eh can go to chill out.
I lubz Mini Schnauzers
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-01-2006, 09:31 PM
I think it's just a playing one. She has only just started to growl and bark, so I'm still learning things about her.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-01-2006, 09:54 PM
At Bear's age it will be a play/excitement growl. You can tell the difference by observing the dog's body language
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2006, 11:21 PM
Originally Posted by I lubz Mini Schnauzers
I think it's just a playing one. She has only just started to growl and bark, so I'm still learning things about her.
At her age she's probably just learning to growl

Could it be she's experimenting with her voice? Archie went through a phase when he was tiny of making lots of very funny noises

Anyway, the growls I get off Archie when he's playing are crazy and quite high pitched, usually accompanied by tail wagging, toy bringing and play bowing

When he thinks there is a fox in the garden, and also sometimes in his sleep if he hears a funny noise, he does a really scary, deep, rumbly growl

you will be able to tell instantly if it's an aggressive growl, it really sounds like they mean business!
Meg
Supervisor

14-01-2006, 11:32 PM
Mini Schnauzers are very vocal little dogs they have a wide vocabulary of sounds (more so than any other breed I have known)with lots of sniffs and snorts and growls. I have met hundreds over the years and have yet to meet one that was less than friendly, they are 'protective' by nature but not agressive. I guess little Bear has found her voice and is trying it out as SB says the body language will tell you if a dog is playing or means business..
I lubz Mini Schnauzers
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-01-2006, 12:25 AM
So they don't growl and bark until like at least 9 or so weeks? Bear first barked on Tuesday when she was at the Vets, but not since until today. The growling has only started today I think.
Meg
Supervisor

15-01-2006, 12:31 AM
So they don't growl and bark until like at least 9 or so weeks? Bear first barked on Tuesday when she was at the Vets, but not since until today. The growling has only started today I think.
Mike puppies start to make little growls and bark at each other from the transition period onwards that is between two and four weeks, as soon as their eyes open
Have you never watched a litter of puppies, they are so funny
Bear was probably trying her voice out in public for the first time.
I lubz Mini Schnauzers
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-01-2006, 12:44 AM
I'm very new when it comes to dogs. If you look at my profile, you can see the only exposure I've had with dogs before I got Bear.
Meg
Supervisor

15-01-2006, 01:03 AM
I'm very new when it comes to dogs. If you look at my profile, you can see the only exposure I've had with dogs before I got Bear.
Ok Mike it must be quite confusing then...
The best thing to help you learn about your puppy's needs is to say try to see the world through the eyes of your puppy,
..You are four inches high in a world of giants,
..Your sense of smell and hearing is far in advance of a human so the loud noises and smells that surround you can be overpowering.
..The humans in this giant world all speak a language you don't understand,
..You miss your mother who kept you clean and your brothers and sisters.

Poor little puppies, it must be so scary for them until they learn to trust a human and know what is expected of them .