Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dachshundlover123
New Member!
Male 

29-01-2016, 04:36 PM

How soon to get 2nd puppy?

A little background: in August 2015 my girlfriend and I brought home our first puppy, a wonderful dachshund. She was the perfect puppy, but after about 6-7 weeks she sadly got off leash during a walk, was hit by a car, and is no longer with us.

We still miss our first puppy dearly but decided to jump back in. The same breeder had another litter born (same father and the aunt of our first puppy) the end of October and we brought home an 8 week old dachshund puppy the end of December 2015. So far we couldn't have asked for a better experience with this puppy: she's loving and playful, independent, she sleeps through the night, is crate-trained, is potty-trained, and is doing great in her training classes. She loves other dogs, though is still a little cautious of other people.

Now for the question...
We've become very close to this breeder over the last few months, and she just had her FINAL litter so we are considering a 2nd puppy. It's the same father and mother as the first puppy that is no longer with us, so there is some added sentiment there. Our current puppy would be 5 months old at the time the 2nd puppy would be ready to come home.

Any thoughts and suggestions on whether this is a good/bad idea??

We understand it would be a lot of work, but like the idea of the two puppies growing up together.
A big concern I've read about is that the two puppies bond too closely with each other. They would sleep in their own crates, and attend training classes separately, but other than that they will be together most of the day.
My girlfriend works at a CrossFit gym and is able to bring our current (and maybe future) puppy to work with her. The dog stays in her crate under the desk while classes are going. And gets to play with the owners dogs in the afternoon.

Any suggestions you can offer will be greatly appreciated!
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

30-01-2016, 12:59 AM
Go in knowing that your looking at a bit more training when you do 2 pups at the same time.

If you feel you can manage it, then I would say go for it.

I don't see it as a bad idea, but just know that many times pups bond and it adds some work training wise.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-01-2016, 02:13 PM
Dachs are not the easiest breed to train, so it sounds as if you have done a great job with your present puppy, and could do the same again. Yes, two puppies are hard work, but on the plus side, they will keep each other fit and amused when playing together, and be company for each other when you leave the house. You are clearly fans of this bloodline, and as the chance to have a closely related pup is not going to come again, I think I would go for it.
Just one qualifier, these two would of course be too closely related to risk an accidental mating - you would have to have the same sex, or neuter at least one of them.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

30-01-2016, 02:42 PM
Agree with what's been posted - it's quite a bit tougher training two puppies at the same time, but if you can think you can manage it and can offer them a good home - then why not?
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-01-2016, 04:20 PM
I'd go for it if I were you. Although they were different breeds there was only 6 weeks age difference in my previous two dogs (both females).

It is more difficult training and caring for two young puppies, but at least you get all the "messy" side of having puppies over and done with at the same time!

Good luck!
dachshundlover123
New Member!
Male 

02-02-2016, 06:32 PM
Thanks everyone for your feedback!
We have some thinking to do!