Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2005, 07:10 PM

Help!!!

Please could somebody tell me where things keep disappearing to on this computer

When you go into the Start (on Windows XP) and on the left hand side there is a button called Connect to - or there should be but mine keeps disappearing somewhere and I haven't a clue where. If I do system restore it comes back again for a short time but then does a disappearing act again a little bit later. I think its only on my file that it has disappeared from

Any ideas where it has gone?
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-08-2005, 08:24 PM
I just had a look at mine and cannot find a button for 'connect'.Do you mean connect to internet???
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2005, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by Steve
I just had a look at mine and cannot find a button for 'connect'.Do you mean connect to internet???

Yes its the one where it will show you the way that you connect to the internet like LAN settings or Dial-up Its usually between Set Program Access and Defaults and Help and Support I think on the right hand side (just realised that I said left hand side before, I have even forget which is my right hand now ) I think it usually just says Connect to
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-08-2005, 08:52 PM
Mine only says;
My documents
My pictures
My music
My computer
Control panel
Set program access and defaults
Help and support
Search
Run

Never seen anything about connect here-sure your not dreaming again Foxy!

Have you got the 2 monitors icon in your system tray (bottom right next to clock)?
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2005, 09:04 PM
Mine only says;
My documents
My pictures
My music
My computer
Control panel
Set program access and defaults
Help and support
Search
Run

Never seen anything about connect here-sure your not dreaming again Foxy!

Have you got the 2 monitors icon in your system tray (bottom right next to clock)?
Hi Steve,

Yes it was definitely there this morning and now it isn't but if you haven't got it on yours then it can't be that important then can it

No I haven't got any monitors in my system tray either, looks like they have done a bunk with my connect to button as well

What are the two monitors for

All I have got in my tray are Norton Yellow thingy (anti-virus, security), a volume button for speakers, a windows messager icon, something called SiS Utility tray (haven't a clue what that is ) an icon for Sound effects, an icon for Quick time and an icon for Exif Launcher (don't know what that is either )
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2005, 09:11 PM
Foxy I know what you mean. It depends which type of start menu you are using. Go into Help and Support - on your Start menu- and type in Start Menu in the search bar. It will tell you how to add items to the start menu such as the Connect to Shortcut

This might be how to do it:

To add selected items to the Start menu
Right-click the Start button, and then click Properties.
On the Start Menu tab, under Start menu, click Customize.
On the Advanced tab, under Start menu items, select the items you want to appear on the Start menu.
The next time you click Start, the items you selected are on the Start menu.
Where it says Network Connections I think there should be a checkmark next to Display as Connect to Menu

(You can remove an item from the Start menu by clearing its check box in the last step of this procedure. )
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-08-2005, 09:18 PM
To get the two monitors in your system tray (which shows your connection status)-see my plea called 'icon in system tray' on this section which Fred anwsered!!!

There should be a little arrow pointing left (<-this side!) which will reveal the hidden icons in your system tray.Mine has crap loads which i havent a clue what they do...
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2005, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by Het
Foxy I know what you mean. It depends which type of start menu you are using. Go into Help and Support - on your Start menu- and type in Start Menu in the search bar. It will tell you how to add items to the start menu such as the Connect to Shortcut

This might be how to do it:

To add selected items to the Start menu
Right-click the Start button, and then click Properties.
On the Start Menu tab, under Start menu, click Customize.
On the Advanced tab, under Start menu items, select the items you want to appear on the Start menu.
The next time you click Start, the items you selected are on the Start menu.
Where it says Network Connections I think there should be a checkmark next to Display as Connect to Menu

(You can remove an item from the Start menu by clearing its check box in the last step of this procedure. )
Thanks for that Het - I will give it a try in a minute
Perhaps I don't need the connect to button now on broadband but we used to use it a lot on dial up if we were having trouble connecting to the internet and I know it was definitely there earlier and just thought if that has disappeared then what is the next thing that will go missing
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2005, 09:24 PM
It should be there Foxy, but if you can't get it to appear there, the long way round to it is to open up the Control Panel and click Network Connections, that takes you to the same place
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2005, 09:25 PM
To get the two monitors in your system tray (which shows your connection status)-see my plea called 'icon in system tray' on this section which Fred anwsered!!!

There should be a little arrow pointing left (<-this side!) which will reveal the hidden icons in your system tray.Mine has crap loads which i havent a clue what they do...

Hi Steve,

Yes the above is all that I have got in my system tray (didn't even know it was called that ) even when I press the < button.

I will go and have a look at yours and Freds Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >