View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2012, 02:57 PM
Helena, you're not alone. I went through all the same as you are going through last November when I lost my very, very precious Sam. The day I helped him to peacefully pass over was the one of the worst days of my life, but it was the right and only thing to do to help my lad one last time. The loss of a friend doesn't get easier, but it does get more bearable.

You have a little girl there with you that needs you now. Concentrate your efforts on her and she will help you and she, in turn, will be guided by Georgie who will show her what to do to help his mum and dad.

Don't beat yourself up. Georgie had reached his time and would have suffered if you had tried to let him carry on. As it is, he was ready and his mum recognised that.

Take care and cry as much as you need to, but remember, Georgie hasn't really gone because he will always be there in that very special place within your heart xx
Kalasin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-02-2012, 04:06 PM
Run free Georgie, forever young and free from pain over the bridge.

My thoughts are with you today, H. It's something I never want to have to do, but hope that when the time comes, I can be as brave as you and do the right thing.

hugs
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2012, 04:22 PM
I'm so sorry for the loss of your beautiful old boy He had a good innings, bless him, but they could live for fifty years and it still wouldn't be anywhere near long enough.

Sleep tight, Georgie xxx
Angie1966
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-02-2012, 04:50 PM
As many have already said, the doubts you have over whether you made the right decision at the right time is absolutely NORMAL. I tussled for months over exactly the same thing when I sent my old boy to the bridge.

However, when I lost my Irish Setter many many moons ago, I knew I'd hung on to him for too long, I swore I'd never be so selfish and do that to another of my fur babies.

It takes a lot of courage to do what you did. No doubt you will question yourself heaps over the coming days/weeks/months, but when I reflect on the decisions I've made in the past I know I did the right thing last time. It's taken me almost 18 months to find peace between my heart and my head. Your doubts will dissipate as time unfolds.............just not yet, everything is far too raw.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

14-02-2012, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
This is so unbearable, it's so empty here, even though Georgie didn't do much around here, he was big enough both in heart and body to let us know he was here and now he's gone, it's all so empty......

Now I'm questioning whether I sent him off too soon beating myself up when I couldn't bear to watch him struggling to walk, maybe I should have left it a bit longer The vet said not, he saw him struggling from the waiting room to the back room and agreed with me, that the end of his walks led to this worsening so much, rock and hard place then.

Please forgive me Georgie, I hope I'm right in thinking he's young and free again now, and I hope even more, that he finds the time to send me just the smallest of signs to let me know he's arrived safely, just like Cassie did for me.

This is God awful, it's like I've lost one of my children here, but then my dogs are my babies and always will be, and not many people understand that, except you lot!

On my 2nd box of tissues now, but hopefully, it will subside after a little nanny nap, but then again, he won't be here when I get up will he

He just went downhill so quickly, and I know he was on that borrowed time, but this all happened so fast, I just hope I did it right by him. Godbless my little man now.xxxx
Oh Helena reading your thread has brought everything back and I (as so many of us) completely understand how you're feeling and what you're going through.

We also know a true dog lover when we see one, and I am certain that Georgie had one of the best owners he could have possibly had - one who did everything right by him. Your vibrant personality, loving nature and happy demeanour is exactly what a dog needs in a human companion. You have been a true guardian, by summoning the strength to say goodbye before it was too late - something I wish I had been able to do 24 hours before Rocky went. It's frightening how quickly they deteriorate in the last few days - so you did right babes, I have no doubt about that.

Thank you for sharing him with us, we're going to miss him and his lovely pics too. Such a handsome boy, who will be remembered by so many of us.

*hug*
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2012, 05:01 PM
You have nothing to be forgiven for. From your posts, it sounds as though your lovely boy was on a downward slope and you gave him peace before life became really horrible for him.

I know you are miss him and the house is empty without him and it's normal to question things. You're probably feeling shocked too.

I wish I had done the same with my last dog and I hope I can be as caring and selfless as you with Loki when his time comes. Nobody likes to think about that time but you put Georgie first. What more can any dog ask for?

xxx
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2012, 05:15 PM
I have followed this thread and I am so sorry for you and Dave

Many years ago I left it too long something I have never done since. You know you did the right thing but you will have doubts in your mind for some time, but don't beat yourself up you know you have done the right thing.

Run free Georgie

Hugs
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2012, 05:20 PM
It's so natural to feel everything your feeling, but please don't feel guilty. You did the last act of kindness and let dear old Georgie go with dignity. Run free big old bear, your mum clearly loved you very much. (((((hugs))))) H
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2012, 05:22 PM
I'm glad that Georgie went peacefully Helena. Don't question your decision to let him go now. Once they are heading that, way things happen fast. Georgie wasn't suffering or traumatised today. A few more days and he might have been. You wouldn't want that for him and you wouldn't want to see him and remember him like that. xx

Sweet dreams Georgie
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2012, 05:53 PM
I cannot believe just how wonderful all of you are, each and every single one of you, in your own way, has helped me come to terms with what I did today, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

The tears are still rolling down my face, as is expected, and Dave will be the very same when he returns from work shortly, and we will sit there like a couple of zombies, not wanting to mention the old boy's name, not just yet, neither of us can take it, we'll just do our own thing to get through this, and then one day, perhaps when we're out walking Zena, he'll ask me what happened today and I shall tell him, just how beautifully he went, not a peep, not a sigh, not even a murmer, just like Cassie went with her eyes closed, hopefully gazing at Cassie and all the other Dogsey dogs sat, sitting there waiting for him, I hope they go easy on him after what he's had to put up with over the past 3 years!

I just had a really nice e-mail back from the rescue centre from the guy who gave Georgie to me all those years ago, and he thanked me for putting Georgie's welfare before my own, and also thanked me for all that I did for him, and told me he couldn't have wished for a better home, so just like you lot, I think that's confirmed then!

The ironic thing was, as I put him in the car, with scattered tripe sticks and various treats on the floor, he did not make a sound. Now normally, when Georgie got in the car, he'd scream his head off for the entire journey, one journey being 1 1/2 hours long, he didn't stop until 3 mins before I arrived at my destination, and yet today, he laid there, he nibbled about with the tripe sticks, but nothing, he didn't make a sound, he knew didn't he. I was early, so I went in and arranged my scatter box I wanted, then I broke down, so Sam came and hugged me and sent me back out to the car with Georgie until it was time. I sat in the back with him, I told him everything I wanted him to know, and as said my goodbye's properly to him instead of in front of the vet. He barged into the waiting room as only Georgie can, said hello to a black bitsa who snapped at him, so he just turned away in disgust, nothing more, coz he's the perfect gent! Then he had the runs, so I had to rush him outside where he decided to dump a big dollop of diarrhea right on the slope down from the door, only Georgie! I managed to get a bucket of water from the receptionist, and as she took hold of the lead, he went bananas that I was leaving him there, and then I cut my finger on the bottom of their bucket as I slooshed it into the drain which was thankfully right next to it! So there I am with me finger pouring with blood, faffing about with this bucket and trying to hand it back with Georgie barging at me to take charge of him again! Georgie's last stand that was!!!

I asked the vet if we would be ok, just the two of us, coz I really wanted to be stroking his head rather than holding that leg, but he said we're gonna be fine, he usually has to do this sort of thing on his own he said, it was nice to have an owner there.

Of course, coming on this puter on my return, it gives me a constant slideshow of pictures when not in use doesn't it, and what comes up, out of 1,000's of pics of Zena, no, they're all of Georgie, that was painful I can tell you, very painful.

Then I sat and looked at them all, decided to get a lot of these tears out of the way, and I came across this, and this just about sums the old boy up, unconditional love didn't come into it with this dog, he gave you everything and never asked in return, never in your face, always in the background until you chose to seek him out, the perfect companion, unlike someone else I know, but she's different, and also loved just as much as Georgie was and always will be.

Page 20 of 31 « First < 10 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 30 > Last »