View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Holly663
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-02-2006, 12:21 AM

Two puppies to housetrain - should I have separate crates for them?

hi i have been advised to use a crate to housetrain a puppy. i have two puppies from the same litter. would it be advisable to put them both in the same crate?? i was going to look at a giant size one, and put the both of them in together. im not sure if this would create more problems. any advise would be appreciated.
DogLady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-02-2006, 04:30 AM
Yes do get 2 crates and place them right next to each other, the pups will learn through repeitition which crate is theres. Use treats to get them to the crate, hold a special treat inyour hand and let them smell it, tell them the command your using, ( bed, crate, kennelup) and lead them with the treat to the crate, make sure they are in the right crates , close the door and give treat & praise. I find it easier to train two pups this way because competition to get the treat first, makes easier training. good luck
doggy mad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-02-2006, 10:23 AM
why do you have to crate them . i got two puppies a day apart and never had any bother with training them i paper trained during the night they slept together in the kitchen and during the day they had access to the garden and walks when old enough .just curious to why you need a crate
Holly663
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-02-2006, 10:54 AM
hi i have never had a puppy before and ive been looking up advice on house breaking them, i looked at this site: [mod edit: link removed: no links to forums]and the women who wrote it said that she breeds dogs and have always used crates, she said the worst thing you could do is paper train a dog, she did it once. so i thought the best way would be to crate train them.
how do they learn to stop going in the house once the paper has been moved, and go on to going outside?
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2006, 10:59 AM
When I had a litter last year all the puppies were initially paper trained, well at least I put paper down where they were, for accidents and then started putting them out, very often, I kept two pups from this litter and have to admit they took a lot longer to house train than my other dogs, this could be because from a very young age they toileted in the same area I dont know, but my other dogs were crate trained and learned that they had to go outside very quickly.

Mo
Holly663
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-02-2006, 11:06 AM
this morning i put down fresh paper one of the puppies walked on it, then went onto he carpet in the living room and pee'd in front of me. it is so frustrating, and i have no idea how to get them to understand because ive been told to not smack them, just to say no. wish you could do that with kids.
Holly663
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-02-2006, 11:11 AM
the breeder i bought them from just put paper down, but the puppies would go anywhere on the floor. is that ok or do i have myself a problem?
petebren
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2006, 11:22 AM
My two pups are now 5 months and nearly housetrained. I bought those sheets of paper which are supposed to entice them to wee on when you add drops, useless, I would come down each morning to a floor all white took ages to clean up! They just learned slowly in their own time and although not there completely I am pleased with them.

Re crates, I too thought of them and invested in two but am afraid I let them sleep together as they looked so cosy and cute, if they were the same sex I would leave them tog but mine as not so I will take Doglady,s advice to you to heart and begin today training them to their own crates, hope you enjoy your two I love having double the trouble keeps me busy and such laughter.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-02-2006, 11:25 AM
The trouble with putting down papper is, that you are confussing the pup "" he is alright to go potty on the papper at night or when you are out "" but not alright to use the papper in the day, Potty outside! the pup will not really understand this .............you are best starting of as you mean to go on, by taking puppies outside ( and give a command as they potty i.e go pee) , straight after feeding, waking up, playing, and start to look at their body language " turning circles! sniffing floor!......... this way your pup will lean what you wany " no confussion"........ as for the crate it is a personal chioce, I have always used crates, my 3yr old still goes in hers, it will become a safe haven for each pup ( get one each for now) specially when you want to give "time out" from each other! which you will..............

dogs also dont like to soil the beds, so will lean to hold on for longer and longer....... it is up to you to get it right, if pup soils its crate , it will because you have left him/her in there for to long............... also I am afraid to say if you want the housetraing to be consistant , you cant expect to be on the ball in the day, then expect them to hold it all night, you are going to have to follow through at night as well " you will have to get up a couple of times through the night as well , just like children, dont worry pup`s will sleep for longer and longer as they grow.
Holly663
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-02-2006, 11:33 AM
thanks for that, i dont mind getting up in the night i had to do it for both boys, and when my horse was sick..so that isnt a problem. i will take the paper away in the day then, and let them out every hour or half hour trying to not get them into a pattern of when they go out. thanks for all the advice.
i have one other thing though, i had to bath them this morning because they had gotten poo everywhere, i dried them off with a towl...should i let them out for a pee or will they get cold? not sure how long until their coat will be insulated again. thanks
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »