Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2009, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
I disagree with this, by allowing the imported dogs to be KC reg they are sending a message that they feel the crosses are now so far removed as to be classed as Dallies. This means the pups can be KC reg and will help puppy buyers to feel more confident in getting a pup from them.

This is what will help decide it in the end, us pet owners who buy puppies. If this kennell has a huge waiting list and is selling their puppies other breeders will notice this. Esp if they have trouble selling theres, after all not all dogs are going to make it to the show ring. Given the choice i know which dog i would pick and that would be the healthy one.
Totally agree with you. The pursuit of purity is irrelevant in my mind when 25% of animals are suffering from a disease that could be eradicated. I too know I wouldn't touch a 'pure' dalmatian with a healthy alternative available. Mind you, I don't think I'd want to be associated with a breed whos club holds such bizarre views and clearly sees health as less important than perceived purity.
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2009, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by annspot80 View Post
hello all. I have just acquired a dalmatian, who is kc registered, hearing tested, the lot.
I am all for having a healthy dog, but i don't like the idea of crossing this breed to erradicate the problems. It just wont be a full dalmatian, and i would not have a cross bred dog.
Aslong as we have good breeders around, who only breed from good stock, hopefully some of the problems may dissappear.
I love this breed faults and all, a dalmatian should stay a dalmatian.
You're 'hopeful' that some diseases will just 'disappear'? That's just wishful thinking - hyperuricemia cannot be eradicated without an outcross to another breed as the 'normal' version of the gene is not present in dalmatians at all. And you love that 25% of dalmatians are suffering from a disease that can be eradicated? I just don't understand this kind of thinking.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by mse2ponder View Post
You're 'hopeful' that some diseases will just 'disappear'? That's just wishful thinking - hyperuricemia cannot be eradicated without an outcross to another breed as the 'normal' version of the gene is not present in dalmatians at all. And you love that 25% of dalmatians are suffering from a disease that can be eradicated? I just don't understand this kind of thinking.
i agree... i really dont know why some people have such a problem with the lua.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2009, 01:26 PM
I wouldnt have an issue with it, even if I was a dalmatian lover/breeder.

Surely the most important thing is to breed dogs who are healthy, then breeding for conformation should be secondary and I cant understand the argument that it isnt a pure dalmatian. Yeah, it's got a pointer in it 14 generations previous but the dogs is healthy now and future generations of dallies wont suffer. If you love a breed, surely this is what you strive for?

But then again, i'm not into showing and searching for the perfect specimen canine so my opinion is based on that ethic.
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-11-2009, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by mse2ponder View Post
Totally agree. I find it sad that there is the attitude that a healthier version of the dally isn't a "proper" dally.
Quite frankly, who cares? Surely health is of the up most importance.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
I wouldnt have an issue with it, even if I was a dalmatian lover/breeder.

Surely the most important thing is to breed dogs who are healthy, then breeding for conformation should be secondary and I cant understand the argument that it isnt a pure dalmatian. Yeah, it's got a pointer in it 14 generations previous but the dogs is healthy now and future generations of dallies wont suffer. If you love a breed, surely this is what you strive for?

But then again, i'm not into showing and searching for the perfect specimen canine so my opinion is based on that ethic.
i agree, and all breeds have been crossed at some point to get what they are today so i dont get why it matters...
bijou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-11-2009, 05:53 AM
you are all missing my point ...there are only 2 Lua's whose owners have applied for KC recognition at present - if they are to make ANY impact at all into the breeds gene pool they need to be used extensively by those that actually do the breeding - without the breed club's approval this will go the way of the attempt by the KC to out cross Bloodhounds by introducing pack hounds into the kC register - this was fiercly opposed by the breed club and Bloodhound breeders and even though the kC did give them KC registration they were never used outside of their own kennel and so made no 'improvements' to the breed at all !.

I am not defending this attitude just stating the obvious - breeders will choose the dogs want to produce their next litter of pups -if they do not LIKE the outcross dogs they will not use them !! -

Everyone at present has an opinion on the state of pedigree dog breeding but the opinion that has the most impact is that of the breeders - it is THEIR choices that shape their breeds -
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

25-11-2009, 02:05 PM
I think that breeders would get to like them pretty damn quick if the KC stopped CCs for any Dally with hua.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2009, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
I think that breeders would get to like them pretty damn quick if the KC stopped CCs for any Dally with hua.
Or if there puppies were not selling. Puppy buyers can also be a driving force for change if they have all the information to hand and make the healthy choice.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

25-11-2009, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
Or if there puppies were not selling. Puppy buyers can also be a driving force for change if they have all the information to hand and make the healthy choice.
So the hopes of the dally rest either with the KC (who still refuse to abandon their ostrich-like approach to breeding problems) or the buying public (who still buy from puppyfarms or pay a premium for breeds like the Bulldog).

Hmm...

"...got two chances - none and slim. And Slim's left town"
Tim Weatherspoon
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >