View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jane 1965
New Member!
Female 

22-01-2007, 06:47 AM

Should I have my 9month cocker castrated?

Alfie is 2 1/5 (castrated when we had him) Charlie is 9 months both are now starting to fight vet's advised to have him done aswell. Would like some advise please.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2007, 07:02 AM
A family had two cocker spaniel pups from me 18 months apart, the testosterone started flying with them when the youngest reached 11 months old, so they were both neutered, which seems to have stopped the arguing so far.
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-01-2007, 07:56 AM
The usual advice when two males are fighting regularly is to have the less dominant one castrated. However, as one of yours is 'done' already that advice is redundant. So personally I would not castrate your puppy, I would concentrate on training, giving them loads to do and minimise the oportunities to squabble.

Once the little fella is more mature he might well take the dominante role, which will mean that fights are not neccessary as the other dog naturally knows where he stands. A natural heirarchy is the best thing.

If you castrate both, there can be no natural heirarchy, and fighting it out is the only way to decide it.

Dawn R.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2007, 09:12 AM
I agree with Nursey, we had two cockers, one was really dominant and he was castrated but he still continued to fight with anything that got in his way, we eventually found out he had rage syndrome, which wasn't his fault, poor little lad.

I have never found castration to be an answer to dominance issues or misbehaviour, vets seem to be so quick to offer this as an option but I have yet to see any of my dogs become less naughty or change at all other than the usual dull coat and weight problems following neutering.

I have to admit that I only have mine neutered for health reasons (fortunately I don't have a temperament problem with any of my dogs), but I do warn puppy purchasers that, should they have any problems with the pup to contact me before they go down the neutering route, it isn't an instant fix for these type of problems.

Of course, if you were intending having him neutered at some stage then I wouldn't dream of talking you out of it, I just don't see that it will help in this instance.

Good luck
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2007, 09:43 AM
You can try chemical castration to see whether it is testosterone related or not, rather than put your dog through an op which may not solve the problem.
Becky
jane 1965
New Member!
Female 

22-01-2007, 07:18 PM
Thanks for everyones help seriously considering not having him done.
lisa0307
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-01-2007, 04:50 PM
My vet was the same with my dog just because he was dominant and a bit aggressive...said castration would cure him...didn't like the thought of castration, after all if it ain't broke don't fix it....so took him to a behaviourist and she said it wouldn't cure him as it was learnt behaviour....so decided on the chemical castration but that made him almost zombie like...he always seemed on another planet. Gave up on that and spent time on training which helped but didn't cure him...in the end had to have him castrated at aged eight due to enlarged prostate but he was just as bad and just as aggressive...didn't change a thing.
perry
New Member!
Male 

06-01-2011, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
I agree with Nursey, we had two cockers, one was really dominant and he was castrated but he still continued to fight with anything that got in his way, we eventually found out he had rage syndrome, which wasn't his fault, poor little lad.

I have never found castration to be an answer to dominance issues or misbehaviour, vets seem to be so quick to offer this as an option but I have yet to see any of my dogs become less naughty or change at all other than the usual dull coat and weight problems following neutering.

I have to admit that I only have mine neutered for health reasons (fortunately I don't have a temperament problem with any of my dogs), but I do warn puppy purchasers that, should they have any problems with the pup to contact me before they go down the neutering route, it isn't an instant fix for these type of problems.

Of course, if you were intending having him neutered at some stage then I wouldn't dream of talking you out of it, I just don't see that it will help in this instance.

Good luck
hello scorpio ! i have just joined because i have just got a new sprocker puppy ,
I was interested to read you views on dogs being neutered , when i took my pup to have his jabs the first thing that the vet said was dont forget to get him neutered this is both healthy and will calm him down !
Is he just trying to get my money or is this true ?
Thanks Perry
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-01-2011, 11:02 PM
Please note this thread is 4 years old