Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Alakritous
New Member!
Female 

12-04-2017, 07:16 PM

Getting an Australian Shepherd in College

Summary

I am looking to get an Australian Shepherd the summer after my Sophomore year in college. I have done extensive research on the breed itself and it is exactly what I'm looking for. I major in bio with a pre-vet track and will probably live in an apartment. I do not have a job but I will be volunteering at different veterinary clinics. I believe I'll have ample time between class to provide the dog with enough mental and physical stimulation and I also have an S/O who is readily able to help in case of a conflict. I'm looking for insight on this decision and ideas to help with any bumps you can foresee.
Hello! I am currently nearing the end of my freshman year of college and have been doing a lot of research on the Australian Shepherd breed. I'm looking for a medium sized, energetic, smart, loving dog that I hope to teach agility and/or flyball and/or obedience. Because of this I am looking to adopt from an AKC/ASCA registered breeder when the time comes. My plan is to get it this dog the summer after my sophomore year as I am in the process of transferring schools.

I'm posting this thread looking for insight on the breed itself and how it can manage in an apartment. I have read many different forums and articles with varying information, some leaning towards absolutely not and others that say it's definitely doable. Due to the herding nature of these dogs, as well as the separation anxiety that they're prone to, I know they need lots of exercise and mental stimulation or I'm in for a hell of a time.

In college I won't have to have a job, but I will be finding veterinary clinics to volunteer at to get experience hours under my belt for the ever-daunting veterinary college applications. The classes I'll be taking I expect to be busy for no more than two or three hours at a time and have at least one hour gap of free-time in between classes. My guess is the longest gap the dog would have alone at the house is when I'm volunteering, but my S/O would be willing to pick up the gap time and help out with the exercising.

Based on how I do college, a dog preventing me from going out with friends, partying, or "having the college life" isn't something I worry about in the slightest. In fact, my whole freshman year I've been yearning for something to keep me going, give me a set schedule, and rely on me for it's health. This will be my first dog on my own, but it will be far from my first dog being around and training. I grew up with 7 dogs from German Shepherds to Pekingese, and managed to teach my ever-slow shih-tzu how to successfully navigate an agility course. I think having a dog to take care of will have benefits that outweigh the negatives.

Another thing many people stressed about having any dog in college is the uncertainty of the future. That people should wait to get a dog when they have a steady job, predictable schedule, and a more solid foundation in their life. I feel this won't be as much of an issue if I'm dedicated to this dog and taking it with me in life. Through the forums I've read up on vet school it's difficult but doable and rewarding to own a dog through vet school, and pet friendly apartments are bound to be in the area should I have to move camp to another university for my graduate years. Plus, if we look in the grand scheme of things, life is never fully predictable. Kids happen, family happens, layoffs and job switches happen. Getting a dog in college will allow it to be older and more mature when I do plan on having kids as well.

I see a reason to wait until the end of my sophomore year, but beyond that I don't see a reason to wait. I debated getting a smaller or more manageable dog for my first (papillon, vizsla), but I am confident in my ability to handle a dog and see no reason not to get my dream dog. But I am looking for insight and opinions, and I understand many will not align with mine. I just ask that people give me ideas on how to handle things along with their opinion.