Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trixie_Carl
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-03-2017, 11:58 PM

Peeing Indoors

Trixie is approx 21 Months old, Her previous owners said that she may pee near the backdoor through the night if she cant get out to go to the toilet.

I take her out around Midnight (Just as I will be again in a moment) each day for her last walk and toilet break which she does her business and we return home, she is also walked twice through the day.

However most mornings I wake up to find she has peed near the back door, I do not give her treats for this but do give her treats out on walks when she has done her business in the right place.

Is there any other way other than getting up every couple of hours or so through the night to let her out into the back yard to have a pee etc, to get her to stop peeing in the house considering through the day when we are up she does not do this.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2017, 12:19 AM
Do you think it's habit rather than an inability to hold?

If so, have you tried denying her access to the door area?

If that doesn't work, then it is, I'm afraid, back to night time housetraining 'getting up with her in the middle of the night to let her out', or, dependent on size, putting down a pad or newspaper at night so at least the cleaning up is easier
Trixie_Carl
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-03-2017, 12:52 AM
HI Chris,

This is Trixie,

Click image for larger version

Name:	17439890_1899239677028044_1862324457_n.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	5501

I am almost certain it is more than likely due habbit rather than the in ability to hold it in.

I hadn't thought about stopping her access to the door area, which I will try.

Last night I moved her bed from the lounge where she normally has it as she doesnt use it through the day that much and placed it in the kitchen only giving her access to the kitchen area only which was the first night she didnt mess.

So will try tonight by preventing her access to the door area and allow her access to the whole of the ground floor (we dont allow her upstairs) and see what happens when she cant get to the door area.

Thanks again

Carl
Trixie_Carl
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-03-2017, 07:35 PM
Its been 5 days since my last comment, Having getting 2 nights out of her with no mess at all, she has been messing for the last 3 nights in the kitchen, Although she has no access to the door area where she was doing it.

Can anyone please advise on the best way to train her as she is 21 months old approximately.

Thank you
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-03-2017, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by Trixie_Carl View Post
Trixie is approx 21 Months old, Her previous owners said that she may pee near the backdoor through the night if she cant get out to go to the toilet.

I take her out around Midnight (Just as I will be again in a moment) each day for her last walk and toilet break which she does her business and we return home, she is also walked twice through the day.

However most mornings I wake up to find she has peed near the back door, I do not give her treats for this but do give her treats out on walks when she has done her business in the right place.

Is there any other way other than getting up every couple of hours or so through the night to let her out into the back yard to have a pee etc, to get her to stop peeing in the house considering through the day when we are up she does not do this.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
How long have you had her?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2017, 09:10 PM
It was worth a try and may have provided a 'quick fix' solution, but hey ho.

Unfortunately, it's back to getting up regularly through the night and taking her out to make sure she 'goes' - gradually increasing the time between garden visits.

Housetraining is always a pain in the backside, but once it does click, they understand that the outside is the place to go
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-03-2017, 09:27 PM
Yep back to basics, treating her like a puppy.
Lots of dogs revert to toileting indoors when rehomed but will fairly quickly settle and return to going outside again.
Trixie_Carl
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-03-2017, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
How long have you had her?
I have had her for 1 week and 5 days.
Trixie_Carl
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-03-2017, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
It was worth a try and may have provided a 'quick fix' solution, but hey ho.

Unfortunately, it's back to getting up regularly through the night and taking her out to make sure she 'goes' - gradually increasing the time between garden visits.

Housetraining is always a pain in the backside, but once it does click, they understand that the outside is the place to go
It sure was worth a try Chris, I will get up regularly through the night with her and take her for a short walk down the back alley (we have a yard, that backs on to a secure alley, dog on lead policy in force) and will ensure she goes when out as she refuses to go in the yard for toileting for some reason.

Thank you
Trixie_Carl
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-03-2017, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Yep back to basics, treating her like a puppy.
Lots of dogs revert to toileting indoors when rehomed but will fairly quickly settle and return to going outside again.
Thanks Trouble, I will go back to basics with her and hopefully she will settle and return to going outside again, as she did go when out earlier, will take her for another walk soon before bed and plenty of back street visits with her through the night.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >