Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Belly
New Member!
Male 

31-01-2017, 11:35 PM

Day Care Woes. Second Warning for "Correcting" Another Dog

My 12 month female golden retriever is a very likable dog, but she seems to have a problem with one dog at day care, and only occasionally. In the past 30 days, she has corrected this dog twice, and it's led to a bit of bloodshed. They are both at day care almost ever day and they play well with each other most of the time. The Day Care owner has given us a second warning and it's possible that a third will be our last.
I'm not sure what to do and neither is the day care owner. They claim that she is the aggressor, claiming that she is correcting the other dog for an unknown unacceptable behavior. Any advice?
bongo's_handler
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-03-2017, 08:19 PM
Do you know the breed and sex of the other dog? If its another bitch, than it could just be territorial behavior. If she hasn't had any aggression problems with other dogs, ask that the other dog's owners and you can work with both dogs together in a safe environment. Let them know that you are the boss and you will not have fighting! It's your yard, you make the rules. If they do start fighting, wade in there. Stay calm but assertive. Grab whichever dog is agressing and take them to the side. You can use the scruff shake, verbal reprimand, or body language dominance. Let her know that the behavior is unacceptable and if she does it again, put her in a down-stay and have the other dog's owners run around and play with their dog. It isn't her area, and she needs to know that the day care supervisor and you will not tolerate skirmishes. I hope this helps, but it also completely depends on the dog. That's just what I would do if my pup were to start fights with other dogs, he requires a rougher approach or he'll just keep fighting.
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-03-2017, 05:48 PM
I'd find different daycare where she would be happier, not having to correct another dog for whatever reason. Maybe there are too many dogs in too small a space, stress. builds up, and comes out as aggression towards a particular dog.
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-03-2017, 05:55 PM
Dragging one dog off can cause the other one to turn tables and attack.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-03-2017, 06:35 PM
It doesn't sound like a very well run facility to me tbh.
They've decided she's the aggressor for correcting an unknown unwanted behaviour. Well if the behaviour is unknown they should find out what it is before attaching labels.
bongo's_handler
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-03-2017, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by muddymoodymoo View Post
Dragging one dog off can cause the other one to turn tables and attack.
If the other ones turns around and starts attacking the previously attacking dog that was pulled to the side, then she has another problem. The way I read the question, it sounded like her dog was doing the agressing. In that case, then those two dogs obviously don't need to go to daycare at the same facility until they figure out what's causing the fights.
Wheeler
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-03-2017, 12:23 AM
If your dog is a bit shy, this will cause other dogs to abuse her, and she responds to that abuse, she may also just be afraid of other dogs, and should not be there. This does not make her a bad dog, just a shy one