Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2006, 11:10 AM

coughs and sneezes! (Kennel cough?)

Mo, our 9 year old BC looked a bit fed up for a couple of days ( like they do) then started reverse sneezing and making cough/choking noises. He also threw up as he was coughing so much. It wasn't loads and it seems to be easing but now Biff our cross breed is the same, pup gave a large reverse sneeze am. I think it may be kennel cough, so have been mean and haven't taken Biff and Mo out and about for the last 3 days as I don't want to be reponsible for spreading it. Pup seems (touch wood) fine, just the one incident this am...
Mo seems lots better, one sneeze before ( think he caught whatever it was first)
Any advice/opinions/ideas...reluctant to go to vet as they are generally fine in themselves and eating well....
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2006, 12:21 PM
Hi,
It sounds very much like kennel cough,We could guarentee every show we went to about 2 weeks later our's would come down with it.
She used to sneeze quite badly,the cough was a hacking sort of cough,like she had something stuck in her throat ,after talking to a friend of ours they suggested we used childrens benilyn cough mixture.We did try it and it worked a treat,it was gone in about 3-4 days.

Hope yours are better soon.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2006, 12:25 PM
If you go to Boots the chemist for it don't say its for your dog though cos they won't sell it to you. I had a hell of a time trying to get some diarrhoea stuff for my guinea pig the other day (the guinea pig book said to get immodium from the chemist) they said they aren't licensed to sell products to be used on animals and even when I said it was for me - they still wouldnt sell it cos I had already said it was for the guinea pig - awkward sods.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2006, 12:47 PM
The Biff and Mo had kennel cough about 18months ago, but much worse than this has been. Do you keep your in when they've got it???? I've kept the Biff and mo in, but have to admit to do training walks with the pup ( but like I say he hasn't looked in the slightest bit fed up and did 1 reverse sneeze this am!)
I've got some kiddy benylin in the cupboard...ta for that.
Last time the vet whopped them on antibiotics, but I'm guessing (touch wood and all being well) they get better without??????
Obviously if pup gets worse I'll whip him round to vet as he's so young, but our guys seem to be getting over it....do you take yours to the vet????
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2006, 12:50 PM
Hi,
We just kept ours away from places where there was lots of dogs,the first time ours had we popped her to the vets who gave her antiboitics but after that we just used benilyn cough mixture.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2006, 12:55 PM
thanks nissanmad, the nasty thing won't let me give you a rep point. Boooooo!!!!! I gorra spread some lovin' first!!!!!!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2006, 12:57 PM
Well, I took Georgie to the vets last year with a bad cough, not a reverse one, but a normal cough, as we had passed a woman the day before who said her dog had kennel cough so I thought that's what he had Anyway, the vet asked me whether he coughed more when pulling on the lead and I said no, and he said that was good Do we assume then that kennel cough means they do?? He said it wasn't k.c. but a sore throat. Now that coughing in reverse both my dogs do sometimes, and I go into panic mode, it's almost as if they can't catch their breath isn't it! I once took Cassie to the vet with this and he just checked her over and said she was fine, and it was quite a common thing for them to do this, but they don't really know what it is Not much help am I!

I hope they're all better soon, but imo I don't think it's k.c.
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2006, 01:18 PM
If mine had a cough I would keep them in a few days too, so they don't pick anything eles up of pass it one and give some childrens benilyn cough as needed
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2006, 01:19 PM
Hope that they get better very soon
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-05-2006, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by Ailsa1
Mo, our 9 year old BC looked a bit fed up for a couple of days ( like they do) then started reverse sneezing and making cough/choking noises. He also threw up as he was coughing so much. It wasn't loads and it seems to be easing but now Biff our cross breed is the same, pup gave a large reverse sneeze am. I think it may be kennel cough, so have been mean and haven't taken Biff and Mo out and about for the last 3 days as I don't want to be reponsible for spreading it. Pup seems (touch wood) fine, just the one incident this am...
Mo seems lots better, one sneeze before ( think he caught whatever it was first)
Any advice/opinions/ideas...reluctant to go to vet as they are generally fine in themselves and eating well....
Hi Ailsa a little honey in warm water is very soothing, I would never be tempted to give a dog human medication of any kind unless under the supervision of a vet. Even children's medications contain substances which may cause a severe reaction in your dog including epileptic seizures .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >