Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
maggie.t1
New Member!
Female 

29-03-2011, 10:20 AM

Chemotherapy

My poorbaby Benson who is a 6 year old Westie was disgnosed with multi center lymphoma grade 4 last August. He had been having regular Vinchristine IV and oral chemotherapy and was doing really well, even got down to monthly treetments and the vets seemed to think he was on his way to remission,but then he developed blood in his urine so they had to stop the oral chemo. The glands in his neck got so big they started obstructing his breathing by pressing on his trachea. He is now back to weekly chemo on an increased dose - glands are down again now but is a bit poorly at the moment - has had vomiting and being off his food this week. Seems a little better today - more chemo on Thursday. Can anyone tell me if they have had a dog go into proper remission or if their dog has had chemo how long they had them for after starting treatment. I will be totally lost if benson Dies - I try to remain positive
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 10:35 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this, such a cruel disease that gets them so young .

You're right, you have to stay positive, your boy needs that, these dogs are amazing they just get through this treatment without a second thought, the courage they have....could teach us a lot couldn't they!

My lad got Lymphoma last May, he was a similar age to Benson and was given 6 weeks to live without treatment.

However, we started him on the Madison Wisconsin Protocol for 6 months at the Liverpool small Animal teaching hospital, at their oncology department, we got a referral there from the vet, the vet said they could treat him, but the experts were at the hospital, he owes his life to their honesty. He still goes back there now for check ups.

The treatment included vincristine, and other iv drugs, once weekly for 8 weeks, then once fortnightly for the rest of the 6 months which sent him into remission imediately with the first treatment-swollen glands disappeared overnight! and he still is now, 10 months later, with no signs of it returning yet. The remission success rate of this treatment plan is 90% but it is not a cure, the expected survival time from this protocol is 6 - 12 months. He is as right as rain, just tires quicker.

I know Zeke developed blood in his urine a few times, that was the worst side effect he got, along with his white blood cell count dropping too low twice so they had to delay the treatment a few days, but this was just treated with a bladder flush out with meds and antibiotics and they just carried on with the chemo?

Sorry to hear he's sick this week, my lad got some really good (but expensive) anti-sickness tablets which worked a treat, they also tried an anti sickness injection once but it made him yelp so we stuck with the tablets. I can get the name for you if you like?

I hope he perks up soon, poor little lad. I adore westies, my zeke also adores westies, they're his favourite breed, the only time his recall goes wrong, when there's a little white westie in sight to prance around with!
maggie.t1
New Member!
Female 

29-03-2011, 11:55 AM
Thank you for you reply - it really is heartbreaking when benson is not well - thank you again for the info you have given me. The Animal Ark where I go in Essex is a small teaching practice with all mod cons and I must say my vet is absolutly brilliant and is very up to date with things - he is not one to muddle through and would refer if he thought it would be more benificial, however saying that, the insurence has stopped paying now so we are paying and you know how expensive that is - We will go on paying for as long as possible and hope remission is just round the corner. Thanks once again. Please can you let me know the name of the medicine so I can get some.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 12:36 PM
Aw your vet sounds really good, great to hear xxx
The tablets are called cerenia maropitant tablets, I hope they can help.
Good luck and hugs to you both xxx
maggie.t1
New Member!
Female 

29-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Thanks for your help - will ask about the tabs on Thursday. maggie xx