Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2010, 05:27 PM

Raw giant turkey drumstick ok?

Just changing Cain to raw and he's loving it! Picked up a giant turkey drumstick in Tesco just now. Bargain at £1.85 It's literally like a huge leg, it weighs about 800g so roughly Cain's food intake for a day. I thought it would keep him busy on a weekend day when he can really tuck in. Thing is I remember reading that you shouldn't feed chicken thighs be ause the bones in the legs are too strong and brittle? So now concerned about feeding it. It looks like it's got a pretty giant bone inside and while it looks great for gnawing, I am new to raw and still have that voice in the back of my head that it worried about breaking teeth, choking or perforated guts! Has anyone fed these? Are they safe?
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2010, 05:42 PM
I feed these all the time as they are such a bargain (even more of a bargain in Asda at £1.47 ) and never have a problem so I wouldnt worry about the bone.

Perforated guts is always a risk I guess but hopefully the dog is sensible enough to know when a bone is too risky to swallow (lamb shanks are one such bone with my lot - they splinter the bone up to get at the marrow but do not eat the shards of bone themselves).
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2010, 06:05 PM
Have already promised Tilly a turkey drumstick for her birthday. I will cook it and take the meat of though cos Im a bit of a worrier when it comes to bones!
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2010, 06:10 PM
I'd definately feed these to my two.

Also if you can get hold of them... Pigs heads last for ages
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2010, 06:52 PM
I have fed these before and they have been much appreciated xxxx
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2010, 06:54 PM
Everyone I know tends to mean lamb, cow, etc. legs when they refer to weight bearing legs, rather than poultry. I've fed chicken thighs to my two with no problem. Given Cain's size, I'm sure a turkey thigh would be a lot easier for him to crunch up, but you could always play on the safe side and hold one end of it when he reaches the bone so he has to crunch it up to eat it, rather than swallow larger bits whole.
There's a turkey farm in Surrey that have told me to get in touch with them in the next month or so (as they're a seasonal farm, just Christmas turkey I presume) in regards to getting scrap bits off them so I'll let you know whether it comes to anything, might be some more turkey in Cain's future and at even more of a bargain!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2010, 10:21 PM
We had problems with them & had to stop feeding them. Katie was (unbeknown) to us even though they were watched, was swallowing bone splinters, turkey legs are very brittle. They were passing out the other end undigested just as they'd gone in

Although we don't feed raw anymore we do still give them occasional raw food. There are two chicken legs (drumstick & thigh) defrosting at the minute fir them in the fridge
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2010, 10:01 AM
Thanks all, good to hear that others had feed them and dogs gave enjoyed them! Winder where I'd find a pigs head in London....eeeewww

Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Everyone I know tends to mean lamb, cow, etc. legs when they refer to weight bearing legs, rather than poultry. I've fed chicken thighs to my two with no problem. Given Cain's size, I'm sure a turkey thigh would be a lot easier for him to crunch up, but you could always play on the safe side and hold one end of it when he reaches the bone so he has to crunch it up to eat it, rather than swallow larger bits whole.
There's a turkey farm in Surrey that have told me to get in touch with them in the next month or so (as they're a seasonal farm, just Christmas turkey I presume) in regards to getting scrap bits off them so I'll let you know whether it comes to anything, might be some more turkey in Cain's future and at even more of a bargain!
yeah I know that broken teeth tends to be like cow femurs, it was more the brittleness of the poultry leg bone that worried me. I read that poultry legs are not as soft as wings because they are weightbearing and therefore more brittle and likely to break off in dangerous sharp bits, Velvetboxets quote below is exactly my worry. Cheap turkey off cuts sound great, let me know if anything comes of that

Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
We had problems with them & had to stop feeding them. Katie was (unbeknown) to us even though they were watched, was swallowing bone splinters, turkey legs are very brittle. They were passing out the other end undigested just as they'd gone in

Although we don't feed raw anymore we do still give them occasional raw food. There are two chicken legs (drumstick & thigh) defrosting at the minute fir them in the fridge
aw I was all confident about feeding it until your post, that's exactly what concerns me! Thanks for telling me. Think I'll give it a whirl though and see how it goes and hope he chew properly!!! I'll give it to him tomorrow when I have the time to let him take his time over it while I supervise, then see how it goes through. Anyone else become obssessed with poo watching when switching to raw???!
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-09-2010, 12:20 PM
I'd be slightly wary of such a large bone tbh, I generally bash up bones as well for dogs that are new to raw feeding, so there's no chance of them swallowing a large piece. I usually use a rolling pin and bash up chicken wings/carcasses, but in the case of a turkey thigh, you may need a hammer or lump hammer

Just a note, with any dogs, you shouldn't leave them unsupervised with big bones, a lot of people give marrow bones and leave their dogs with them. It's so easy to think it's a great treat and will keep them busy and out from under my feet, but these larger bones are the ones prone to splintering, so I always supervise mine with them, and don't leave them with them for longer than half an hour a day, taking them back and refreezing. Kong toys, or other similar stuffed toys, are the one treats mine get unsupervised.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2010, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
I'd be slightly wary of such a large bone tbh, I generally bash up bones as well for dogs that are new to raw feeding, so there's no chance of them swallowing a large piece. I usually use a rolling pin and bash up chicken wings/carcasses, but in the case of a turkey thigh, you may need a hammer or lump hammer

Just a note, with any dogs, you shouldn't leave them unsupervised with big bones, a lot of people give marrow bones and leave their dogs with them. It's so easy to think it's a great treat and will keep them busy and out from under my feet, but these larger bones are the ones prone to splintering, so I always supervise mine with them, and don't leave them with them for longer than half an hour a day, taking them back and refreezing. Kong toys, or other similar stuffed toys, are the one treats mine get unsupervised.
I leave my dogs with marrow bones and have never known them to splinter, and Jess has been raw fed having these a fair bit for over 2 years now. In fact, they leave bone crumbs everywhere lol
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >