View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kirstin_mad_dog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-04-2012, 05:22 PM

Do dogs need any of the million kinds of supplements??

So i was browing the website i got Calebs food from and came accross the supplements section................and its safe to say i was overwhelmed!
there were kidney ones liver ones pancreas ones brain health ones and god know what else!
are there any that would benefit my 7 month old terror?
he is in good health as far as i am aware anyway!
although he is still a tad underweight, he was 17,5 kg when i brought him home 7 weeks ago and he has put on a fair amount, he is easily the size of a labrador now but i'm not sure what sort of weight he will be, i did ask the vet but apart from her saying that yes he was underweight but not excessivly so she didnt say alot!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2012, 05:26 PM
No you do not need to is the short answer.

I've never fed any kind of supplement to my dogs and wouldn't unless it was specifically for health reasons (joint supplements, etc.). I think a lot of them are massive waste of money for both dogs and humans.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2012, 05:29 PM
I don't feed supplements, and I don't think they are needed. If a dog has a specific health problem, that supplements will help, then I think they can be beneficial. But not for a healthy dog.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2012, 05:39 PM
I get those chewy joint sticks now that my dogs are older (10 and 9 and a half) as they do agility and I want to keep their joints healthy.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2012, 05:42 PM
they would only need it if their diet was rubbish or they had something wrong with them

same as human ones
Hanlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-04-2012, 07:00 PM
Whisper's supplements are for specific things - she's 8 years old and suffers from occasional stiffness in one of her legs so we supplement for her joints.

We also supplement for her poor coat and occasional dandruff.

But you could spend a fortune and get totally paranoid if you started shopping around too much!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2012, 07:04 PM
Not always needed, but they can help.

I feed joint supplements (my dogs are 11 and 8.5), vitamin E capsules and fish4dogs salmon oil.

I also use a long term probiotic powder that I give to Roxy on a daily basis and Dorwest Herbs Digestive supplement too, they are really helping with Roxy's stomach issue.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2012, 07:15 PM
The only 'supplement' I've ever given any dog I've owned is Evening Primrose Oil - to my Cavvy when she was about 4 yrs old and her fur seemed to change after being spayed - looking a bit dry and untidy. I was told it was good for that.
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-04-2012, 07:24 PM
not needed IMO.but they do have there benifits,dogs,there a 6BILLION,dollar industry.there was nothing for a dog,prior to 1954,thats when the first canned dog food came out.just look at what is possable for dogs now,everything from food to diamonds.im shocked when i go to a pet store,so much stuff.the last one i heard of where,plastic testicals for your nuetered male,inplants,supplements?thousands to choose from.wow
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-04-2012, 07:28 PM
I give one of mine glucosamine tablets, due to his severe problems. I have thought about giving my younger dog glucosamine as a preventative, but have not as yet.

I don't give vitamins or anything else.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >