View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
beaududblu
New Member!
Female 

28-06-2006, 07:09 PM

Phantom pregnancy why do i have to wait so long to neuter ?

hello everyone
i am new to this site and i hope someone on here can answer my question. i have taken on a staffie i only had her 2 weeks and she came into season so i did not have the time to get her neutered which was my intension.
she bleed the whole 3 weeks and when i contacted the vet he said i had to wait 10 weeks after her season finished then she could be neutered. 3 weeks ago she started to behave strangely and i put it down to the hot weather then i noticed her nipples were cracked and she had discharge the vet said sounds like a phantom pregnacy.
he would neuter her so i booked her in and on the day he said her symptoms were to severe and said he would not neuter her on that day it was to dangerious she was given medication which she has finished and seems to back to her old self but he will not neuter her for a least another month. i want it over and done with so she can get on with her life!! before i know it she will come back into season again i can't understand why i have to wait another month does anyone know why ?
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2006, 07:22 PM
Her next season should (in theory) be six months after the last one.

If she is spayed too soon there can be added complications as her reproductive organs will still be enlarged. It is a more serious operation this close to a season. That month will soon pass and then she can be safely spayed.

If ever you visit your vet and don't understand the reasons behind any advice give, ask! Most vets are only too willing to explain the reasons behind the treatment they give.

Don't worry, once she is spayed there will be no more phantoms.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-06-2006, 07:23 PM
Hi beaududblu and welcome to Dogweb It is advisable to do as the vet says and wait until mid cycle when the bitches hormones will have settled down after the previous season. This way there will be less chance of complications/heavy bleeding
beaududblu
New Member!
Female 

29-06-2006, 03:43 PM
Hi everyone
thanks for replying
my dog finished her season 11 weeks ago that's why i am fed up i was told you had to wait 10 weeks after the season finished then she could be neutered
but as she has now had a phantom pregnancy it will be 15 weeks after her season fininshed then she will finally be neutered thats if the symptoms don't come back if they do my vet said he will not neuter her. the symptoms have now gone (fingers crossed) and i still have to wait another 3 weeks untill he will neuter her i just hope it does not start again. her previous owner breed from her at 12 months old i have no intension of making money like he did i just want wants best for my dog and i am finding it frustrating.
teisgol
New Member!
Female 

29-06-2006, 06:43 PM
Hi welcome my one pointer bitch had to be spayed 10 weeks after having her 1st litter due to pyometre they wouldnt normally spay at that time but it was an emergency. Unfortunatly due to her hormone level at times she smells to my stud dogs like she is coming into season. My other two bitches were spayed at the correct time and we have no probs so take vets advice and hopefully everything will be ok. Good luck.
SuzanneGSD
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-07-2006, 04:18 PM
Its basically to get your bitches cylce back on track and less likely of heavy bleeding. its far too dangeroud to spay just before or jsut after a season (due to increased blood flow!)

jsut give her chance to get her body back on track. if it was 11 weeks ago and you only have to wait another 3, season wont be till 26 weeks, so your ok!!

unless your a breeder or totally ofay with bitches, seasons are a nightmare IMO.

Welcome anyway and hopefully she'll be sorted and womb free soon
beaududblu
New Member!
Female 

03-07-2006, 11:42 AM
Hi susanGSD
thanks for replying no i am not a breeder and generaly don't know allot about dogs seasons. every animal i have had has always been neutered when they were young and the time was right my dog i have now had been breed by her previous owner the thing is as well i want to take on a rescue dog and they will not let me have one untill she has been neutered. which is understandable so having all these problems does not help but she is booked in to be neutered on 17th so i have to do what is best for my dog and and wait!! i do realy love her and seeing her unwell and wanting babies was upsetting she knows what it is like to have them which is even worse once it is all over then she and i can look forward to getting on with life she was so mistrested so i just want to do what is best for her
thanks again
caroline
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

03-07-2006, 11:49 AM
Hi Caroline and a big welcome to the forum, sorry to hear you are having problems with your bitch but I would agree with the others, I know its frustratng having to wait but glad you realise it is for a good reason. The 17th wont be long now, Hope all goes well for her. Look forward to updates .

Eunice
beaududblu
New Member!
Female 

03-07-2006, 11:54 AM
hi lovezois
thanks i will keep everyone posted the weeks seem to be going fast anyway so i know it won't be to long now
and when she is all better i am taking her on holiday with me so really looking forward to it
i will keep on posting
bye for now
caroline
SuzanneGSD
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-07-2006, 03:06 PM
i know its hard watchin them when they think they preggers, just had phantom with sybil (whos not nuetered yet cos shes been toi ill since i got her!) - dunno when im gonna get a chance if ever to get her spayed, its awful when you dont know about bitches, its been a huge learning curve for me as all mine before have been spayed!

nearly there now though.