Please see link ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...nnibalism.html

As ever, some things are not always as they seem
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2010, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
The also have to be kept in smaller herds/flocks etc...all the reading I have done on this assumes organic animals are free range...and organically fed and treated.
Where is your info from please? I am really interested in all this, as I have been led to believe that organic does not always mean free range, unless it is labelled organic AND free range.

Obviously we aren't an organic farm, but I would say our sheep and lambs live a very natural and happy lifestyle on a heather covered hillside - they can't be any more free range than they are Yes, they are routinely wormed, jagged and dosed, but this means they remain as healthy as possible.

We don't own the farm where we live and work at the moment, but do want our own place in the future and I would be very interested in the organic side of farming, as well as conservation of wildlife too, so am finding this thread very interesting
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2010, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by tinkladyv View Post
Organically-raised animals must have access to the outdoors, including access to pasture for ruminants.
Is this in every single case? Therefore when meat is labelled organic, you can take it as read that it is also free range?? Or does it need to be labelled organic AND free range?

I am genuinely interested, as I was always led to believe that organic does not always mean free range.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2010, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Please see link ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...nnibalism.html

As ever, some things are not always as they seem
I have no doubt...but not quite sure of the relevance of that in the discussion of free range vs organic, bad things can happen on any farm.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2010, 06:56 PM
The also have to be kept in smaller herds/flocks etc...all the reading I have done on this assumes organic animals are free range...and organically fed and treated.
Surely this doesn't mean smaller flocks of sheep and smaller herds of cows?

I think they are talking about chicken?

From CIWF
"The Soil Association Organic Standard provides the highest welfare levels in the UK e.g. smaller flock sizes for chickens and no live exporting of dairy calves."
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2010, 06:58 PM
I have no doubt...but not quite sure of the relevance of that in the discussion of free range vs organic, bad things can happen on any farm.
That is true, but the relevance of it was that organic is being held up as a shining example of all farming should be - but it isn't always the case.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2010, 06:58 PM
Where is your info from please? I am really interested in all this, as I have been led to believe that organic does not always mean free range, unless it is labelled organic AND free range.

Obviously we aren't an organic farm, but I would say our sheep and lambs live a very natural and happy lifestyle on a heather covered hillside - they can't be any more free range than they are Yes, they are routinely wormed, jagged and dosed, but this means they remain as healthy as possible.

We don't own the farm where we live and work at the moment, but do want our own place in the future and I would be very interested in the organic side of farming, as well as conservation of wildlife too, so am finding this thread very interesting
Did you read the links I posted? A quick google of organic meat will throw up loads of info. I have yet to see meat labelled as organic and free range..I have never known that, it is either free range..or organic, the term organic tends to assume free range because of the standards of animal welfare.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2010, 07:04 PM
That is true, but the relevance of it was that organic is being held up as a shining example of all farming should be - but it isn't always the case.
Thats one example though and it was discovered.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2010, 07:09 PM
Approximately half of the nation's sheep (organic and non-organic) are found on hilly upland areas. Most sheep are able to freely range for most of their lives, although some may be brought inside to give birth. Stocking rates will generally be lower on organic farms that other farms.
Taken from..
http://www.soilassociation.org/Whyor...4/Default.aspx
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2010, 07:09 PM
Did you read the links I posted? A quick google of organic meat will throw up loads of info. I have yet to see meat labelled as organic and free range..I have never known that, it is either free range..or organic, the term organic tends to assume free range because of the standards of animal welfare.
Sorry, I didn't read the links. I will go back and have a look.
Page 18 of 25 « First < 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 > Last »