Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
gillw8
New Member!
Female 

17-01-2011, 02:10 PM

Rescuing a dog....

I'm new here but love forums like this - full of so much useful information and great people!

I just wanted to have a moan about how hard it seems to be to rescue a dog and give it a loving home. We don't fit the bill at all - I work part time so am out for 4 hours a day, we have two children aged 8 and 5 and I don't really want a collie or a staffy. I know staffies make the most loving pets but I'm not sure they're right for us.

we've just lost our old lady who was 15 and our other dog (a lab crossed with heavens alone knows what) is really miserable without her. He's a very timid dog so we need to be careful he doesn't get dominated.

But no rescue place wants to know us because I work And yet there are so many dogs needing homes. I know in this age of litigation that all rescue homes are very careful about what dog they home where but we don't all live in a semi rural location, am home all day, are an active older couple without any visiting children!

Never mind - we'll keep looking! Moan over!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 02:12 PM
I know lots of rescues who are happy to home to working families - if you're only out for 4 hours then I'm sure there will be a place willing to home to you.
Have you tried many small rescues? They tend to be a bit more flexible with their rules than larger rescues, and more willing to judge on an individual basis.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 02:17 PM
Since many dogs need new homes in the first place because their owners didn't have time for them, I think it's reasonable for rescues to be wary of rehoming to people who work away from the house.

That said, not all rescues are equally strict with this policy.

As an owner of a rescue dog myself, one thing I do know - if you have your heart set on getting a rescue, you will find one!

Good luck with your search
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 03:57 PM
I agree, some of the requirements can be a bit daft but as Krlyr said, some of the smaller and breed specific resuces can be a bit more flexible and tend to go on individual situations rather than set rules

Have you tried looking at Many Tears rescue? They have lots of different types of dogs up for rehoming and (quoting from their website here!) their rules state that they believe 4 hours is okay (although they say that 4 hours should be the maximum and isn't suitable for all their dogs) and that they are okay with rehoming dogs to families with children, as long as the dog is suitable http://www.freewebs.com/manytearsres...ngforhomes.htm

Many Tears might not have any dogs suitable so it's just a suggestion but good luck, hope you find a dog soon!
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
Since many dogs need new homes in the first place because their owners didn't have time for them, I think it's reasonable for rescues to be wary of rehoming to people who work away from the house.
While I understand that some dogs have been dumped at shelters and rescues because their people don't have time for them, I have to say I think it is completely unreasonable for a rescue to not expect to rehome ANY of their dogs to people who work. I mean, how else are you going to afford the dog? Are they only willing to rehome to rich people? People who win large sums of money in the lotto?

The only people I know who don't work away from the home are either working AT home (and then still don't have time for the dogs) or are stay at home moms and dads (which means they have young children and those are usually out too).

It's absolutely unreasonable for a rescue to expect someone to spend 24 hours a day with their dog. Sure we'd LOVE to but its not possible (and likely helps to cause separation anxiety too). I know many people who work 8 hours a day (and are gone 9) and have happy, healthy dogs.

I find a lot of rescue's requirements to be far too stiff and absolutely ridiculous. Don't even get me started on blanket fence requirements.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 04:55 PM
Different rescues have different policies. It is always worth calling and talking to people about what you can offer.
There are always private rehomes of course, but be aware that people tell all sorts of lies to `get rid` of their pets and there is no back up.
If you are out during the day and have children, I assume youi`ll be looking for a mature dog that is used to children and doesn`t have SA? So a vetted Rescue is the best way to go. I`d phone round a few places and be frank about what you are looking for.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 04:59 PM
i think even the bigger rescues are getting more flexible these days, Nev has a training client who rescued a springer from the dogs trust, they both work full time they just go home at lunch time, and if they can't Nev goes in and walks him
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
While I understand that some dogs have been dumped at shelters and rescues because their people don't have time for them, I have to say I think it is completely unreasonable for a rescue to not expect to rehome ANY of their dogs to people who work. I mean, how else are you going to afford the dog? Are they only willing to rehome to rich people? People who win large sums of money in the lotto?

The only people I know who don't work away from the home are either working AT home (and then still don't have time for the dogs) or are stay at home moms and dads (which means they have young children and those are usually out too).

It's absolutely unreasonable for a rescue to expect someone to spend 24 hours a day with their dog. Sure we'd LOVE to but its not possible (and likely helps to cause separation anxiety too). I know many people who work 8 hours a day (and are gone 9) and have happy, healthy dogs.

I find a lot of rescue's requirements to be far too stiff and absolutely ridiculous. Don't even get me started on blanket fence requirements.

OK firstly not sure what this reference is to people who work from home and still don't have time for their dogs - I work from home, and have plenty of time for my rescue Lab.

Re rescues:

Given that so many dogs in rescues have issues and problems precisely because they were left alone for so long by their previous owners, it's entirely reasonable for rescues to be super careful over whom to rehome them to - and they have the right to reject people whom they feel might be too busy with work and also young children.

Rescues want nothing more than to find good homes for their dogs. Usually if they reject an applicant, there will be a valid reason.

All of this aside, as I did mention in my original post, there are rescues who will rehome to those who work - anyone who wants to find a rescue dog, will ultimately find one. They may have to wait a while but that's just how it is. I had to wait months for the 'right' dog.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Sadly I've found rescues don't always reject people for valid reasons. Some of them have extremely stringent requirements for ALL dogs: someone must be home all the time, the home must have a fence, the home must have no children under X age, etc. I can understand having some strict requirements for particular dogs because of their issues, but many around here have blanket requirements for all dogs. I cannot even apply to our nearest border collie rescue because I don't have a fence (they reject all of those applications out of hand) despite the fact that I take long walks, hike, play with my dog a lot, do a lot of training, and am involved in agility. I'd have a great home for one of their dogs but I'm not even in consideration for a dog since I don't have a fenced in yard (in fact, I don't even have a yard).

As for working from home/not having time for the dog I was going by the rescue's mindset of work = no time for the dog. A person who works from home still must WORK and sometimes (for some of the folks I know) that means shutting out all distractions for a time, including dogs and others in the household. When my partner works from home, he needs times with no distractions to get his work done. He doesn't get to pay attention to or play 24/7 with our dog. If a rescue has issues with someone working then it should include people who need to shut themselves up in their home office. Just being present doesn't mean the dog is being engaged all the time.

As for me? I don't believe that people who work shouldn't own dogs. I don't even think they shouldn't own puppies as puppies can be successfully raised by working families. It just means they need to spend more of their time when home with the dog or puppy and need to come home at lunch if it's a puppy, etc.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 06:22 PM
Crysania:

I take on board your points, I can imagine that some people who work at home must have total peace and quiet etc, yes

Re fences:

I can sort of see where the rescues are coming from - their dogs are perhaps more prone to escape attempts which if successful, can result in a dog ending up out there alone or worse, run over etc.

That said, you sound like a fab person to own and take care of any dog so yes, I can well appreciate how frustrating it must be for you!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >