Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fifilefemme
New Member!
Female 

25-09-2011, 08:45 AM

Doggy Limp

Hi all, looking for help with a dilema. I own a Staffordshire Bull terrier who is 6 years old and over the last few months she's developed a limp on her front left leg which seems to be getting worse. We live in a flat above the pub we run and there are numorous obsticals we have to avoid each day. I take her out twice a day to get the papers and once a week on a longer walk of about an hour. Been back and forth the vets and they can't find the reason & want to do X-rays. I have pet ionsurance through Tesco but would need to pay upfront for the X-rays and they want £600!!! As we believe this to be muscular I feel this is OTT and have been seeing someone who used to train Greyhounds and using an ultrasound treatment & massage, but it doesn't seem to be doing much. Some mornings she seems fine and others she won't put her foot down. She's a fairly big dog that needs to lose 3kg, but now I can't exercise her. Can anyone suggest something.
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-09-2011, 10:07 AM
Six hundred seems an awful lot for x-rays! We have our dog insured with tesco and we have never had to pay upfront?! Is the limp worse after rest? Do you have another vet you could ask for a second opinion? What makes you think it is muscular?
Angie1966
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-09-2011, 08:13 PM
£600 for xrays is ridiculous. I've just had Molly xrayed, 2 sedative, a GA and 4 plates cost me £203. She's a heavy dog at 35Kg so it looks like I got a bargain!
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2011, 08:50 PM
We paid £500 for Zeke's leg xrays 2 years back (GA included in this) so i don't think it tooo extortionate.. his just showed up a little arthritis starting, he was around 6 at the time too, and it is this that the vet believes is causing his recurrent limp still now.

Hope you get him sorted soon, poor lad, it's awful when they're limping and can't enjoy their favourite thing - walkies.

Our Zeke can't have long term mediation so we've just started acupuncture but he's only had one treatment so i'm afraid it's too early to tell you if it's working for him just yet (you can often get that covered by your insurance) although he is livlier, but still limping - it apparently takes a few treatments to start working, and it apparently works for 80% of dogs xxx
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2011, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by Fifilefemme View Post
Hi all, looking for help with a dilema. I own a Staffordshire Bull terrier who is 6 years old and over the last few months she's developed a limp on her front left leg which seems to be getting worse. We live in a flat above the pub we run and there are numorous obsticals we have to avoid each day. I take her out twice a day to get the papers and once a week on a longer walk of about an hour. Been back and forth the vets and they can't find the reason & want to do X-rays. I have pet ionsurance through Tesco but would need to pay upfront for the X-rays and they want £600!!! As we believe this to be muscular I feel this is OTT and have been seeing someone who used to train Greyhounds and using an ultrasound treatment & massage, but it doesn't seem to be doing much. Some mornings she seems fine and others she won't put her foot down. She's a fairly big dog that needs to lose 3kg, but now I can't exercise her. Can anyone suggest something.

I am struggling to understand why you use a vet as you appear to know a lot more about what may be causing your dog's limp than a professional and prefer to use a an ex greyhound trainer who also cannot identify the issue.

Now you want other unqualified people to give you some ideas?

You have insurance so I fail to see the problem!