Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kimg
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-09-2014, 07:37 PM

Rottweiler cross

Hi there, am considering getting a rottweiler/dogue de Bordeaux cross has anyone had any experience with this cross? Is there anything I need to be aware of? Any input would be much appreciated
Thanks
Azz
Administrator
Male 

30-09-2014, 10:42 PM
They're both stunning breeds - what are your reasons for getting one? Is it a rescue?

Take a look at the profiles on Breedia for info on character and background. With a cross, you could get either trait, or, even new ones that are present in neither..

Rottweiler Information

Dogue de Bordeaux Information
kimg
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-10-2014, 08:20 AM
No it is a puppy, i have not had much luck health wise with 3 "pedigree" dogs and keep being told crosses seem to have less health problems (assuming the parents are sound) so was considering a cross instead
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-10-2014, 10:48 AM
Just because a dog has a "Pedigree", means really nothing.
In purebred dogs you need health tested parents. Show titles only mean they look and act like they should. Working titles are far better. Also you must look at where the dogs are bred.
Crosses and mutts, can have better health but have just as good a chance of having the health issues of both.

Sadly to say I really don't see someone crossing the 2 breeds your talking about as someone who health tests.

Between the 2 breeds your looking at hip, elbow, eye, sinus and bloat issues. On the minor side skin and allergy issues. Any DDB being breed majorly needs to be health tested.
Originally Posted by kimg View Post
No it is a puppy, i have not had much luck health wise with 3 "pedigree" dogs and keep being told crosses seem to have less health problems (assuming the parents are sound) so was considering a cross instead
kimg
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-10-2014, 01:27 PM
Great thanks for the advice definately lots to think about, am just very nervous about choosing next dog!