Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-09-2014, 12:41 AM
Originally Posted by Lindsay&River View Post
I would recommend the crate too, especially since you are only gone for about 3 hours at a time. No big deal.

However, I understand you don't want to go that route. Have you tried using a baby gate to keep her in maybe a bathroom or small bedroom?
I agree with everything above, with the one exception of the baby gate. If you do want to use a gate, please don't be tempted to use a baby gate-- most are not suitable for dogs and some are downright dangerous; many dogs have been injured on them. You can get gates specially designed for dogs from most of the bigger pet stuff chains, or online, or some department stores. Just do a search for 'dog gate'.
Lindsay&River
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-09-2014, 08:48 PM
Great! Even better!
andy64
New Member!
Male 

03-10-2014, 10:43 AM
I wasn`t happy at the thought of using the crate but got one on advice from a friend who has had dogs for years.
Must say I`m glad I listened. Ozzy seems to really like it, only cried for a short time the first couple of nights. He is now 14 weeks I have had him two weeks and he is silent on a night in his crate and totally clean through the night. Ozzy treats his crate like part of the house and goes in there now during the day, it`s his little bit of space. I have covered it with a towel to make it a bit more den like as my friend suggested and it seems to work.
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-10-2014, 07:16 PM
I'm glad he likes it! He sounds like a crate natural!

Many dogs are like Ozzy-- they see the crate as a safe, cozy, nice space to be in. It's therefore important that you keep it that way: when he's in there, that's his sacrosanct little territory, and nobody gets to interfere with him while he's in there. It'll be even easier for you since he's so young and it'll be a valuable resource in the future especially in situations that might make him anxious. In those cases, putting something in there that smells like you might help, like a T-shirt you've worn to bed. It's just a little extra essence of home and peace. Good luck with it! I hope he loves it.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-10-2014, 12:56 AM
I was going to suggest something like Rescue Remedy perhaps? Fortunately my two snooze when I'm gone. Except for Sophie piddling the carpet from time to time we've never had a problem with them loose in the house. I have a friend however who had such a creative house wrecker that he tried confining her to the bathroom. She ripped up the woodwork around the door and the door itself...regularly...Wish you the best.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-10-2014, 08:16 AM
It is rather concerning that the OP did not come back to this thread, but then posted that she was considering getting another dog.

2 dogs at the same time?

I wish she would come back to give us all an update.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-10-2014, 09:26 AM
Have you tried a dog proof soft toy, even if it means removing stuffing and squeaker. Our Teazle loves her "Rattie" even though it is ripped and well sucked by her
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2