Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Molly2606
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2006, 08:06 PM

Advise on my hair colour

Hi guys now i know its hard to say because you can't see me (but if i'm brave enough i'll put a pic up tomorrow)

i've always been blonde and when it started to fade i dyed it
but i fancy a change and am thinking of going brown but i'm really scared to take the plunge what if it looks really horrible? can i go back?
i'm also a little bit scared that my partner won't fancy me if i dye it

Have you been blonde and gone brown?

would i need to self tan if i did go brown because i'm quite pale with blue eyes?

any advise
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2006, 08:13 PM
Well I did it the other way around Molly, but I'm wasn't really happy about it. I think you're born with the hair colour to match your skin, and my blonde made my skin look a bit pasty, whereas with the darker hair, I've got quite a dark skin, so that's the only thing I would worry about.

What I did was do a close up pic of my face and went on a website where you can choose a wig and stick it on your pic, so you could try that and get some idea of what it might look like.

I would strongly advise you not to just go dark brown all over, it might be too drastic? What about going predominantly dark and then have your blonde as highlights, which is basically what I've ended up with now? You're sooooo lucky being blonde, coz they can't seem to lift my colour enough to get the plattinum blonde highlights that I want, it still looks a bit "dirty" if ya know what I mean!

If you want the website where you can post a pic I can find it for you?
Molly2606
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2006, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54

If you want the website where you can post a pic I can find it for you?
ooh yes please if you don't mind

thats what i'm a bit scared of doing it and then thinking OMG!!
mustards mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-06-2006, 08:25 PM
I went from Blonde to brown and OMG did I look strange, I too found that my hair wasn't as light as it had been and thought I'd go straight from sort of blonde to brown!!!!

Please don't do it, until you have at least tried on a darker wig (you can prob do it at any very big department store)

I looked dreadful, I then spent years growing my natural colour through and I looked great and blond in summer but mousey in winter, with darker roots if I had been on holiday!!!

I've stuck to high/lowlights ever since, not just blonde but darker ones to make the hair look more natural, it's not cheap but it's worth it!!!!
darasa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-06-2006, 08:35 PM
Hi Molly
I went from light blonde to mid/dark brown with lighter "highlights" quite recently ...and I love it I have been blonde all my life andI am really happy with the change.. It took me by surprise when I saw myself for the first few days My hair is pretty short though so it was easier to be brave in the first place as I knew it wouldn't take long to grow out.. you can bleach it out too ... but you would need to buy 30% bleach powder and liquid peroxide .. I think Jerome Russel bleach is available in superdrug..but it would not be easy and would prbably take 2 applications then a dye over the top.... or so my hairdresser said
Rachel
Molly2606
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2006, 08:27 AM
Thanks eveybody i'll have a think
lckerry
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-06-2006, 09:08 AM
Hi Molly
I had really blonde hair for about 6 years. I decided that it was time for a change so I booked myself into the hairdressers. Firstly they put on pigment on my hair, they said if they put a brown colour directly on the blonde it would go green. After they put the pigment on they put a dark brown colour on, my hair was so dark, it had a tint of red in because of the pigment. I HATED it. I went home and kept looking in the mirror. I thought it might grow on me but it didn't. I felt so ugly and plain and I looked so pale. The following day I went to Boots and bought two bottles of blonde hair dye. I now have brown hair now with blonde highlights, so I feel I have the best of both.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2006, 09:16 AM
Hi Molly, i am blonde and dyed my hair a really nice brunette. And within a day i thought i looked SO boring

So i dyed it back to blonde that night, and it took two weeks to get my hair colour back to normal, i went BRIGHT orange and then eventually had to bleach it, which left me with white hair for 1 day. And then eventually it calmed down, still had gingery bits in my hair for a while.
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2006, 09:53 AM
I agree with Mustards mum try to find somewhere you can try wigs on first and see what effect the colour has on your face, I heard that you know when you have found the right haircolour for you as it will make your eyes stand out.

The best way I have found of getting a great colour is having highlights and low lights but not blocky dramatic ones just subtle shades not too different to the natural hair colour to add interest, I am brunette and my sis (who's a hair dresser) has just done me some reddy highlights and some caramel ones and it looks great you cant really see the individual highlights but in the sun they catch the light great for the summer and easier to rectify if it goes wrong.
I find it better to go lighter in the summer and darker in winter because the summer will lighten it anyway making your roots all the more noticeable when they come through
lillybet
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2006, 10:34 AM
ok if you want to go darker then you have to go red 1st or have a dark with red in it or it WILL go green. you always have to put the warmth back in to blonde b4 you ever think on changing to a darker shade. but think about it because if you hate it is will be very hard to go back to blonde.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >