Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2011, 09:04 PM

Allergies.....(Scratch test)

I seem to have developed an allergy to something (absolutely no idea what).
It is making my eyes very red and the lids are swelling a bit. I did (eventually) head to the Dr, who gave me some cream, and also told me(after asking the obvious, make up etc) it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack.

A friend suggested (if it did no clear up) a Scratch test?

I have been using the cream on and off for a while, it cleared up within a week, then very now and then I have felt it get a bit itchy, and used the cream its been fine. However, today it seems to have come back with avengance! I have not used the cream for about a week (if not a bit more). I cannot put think of anything I have done different, anything I might have used etc.

So....do people have experience of scratch tests? are they any good or worth getting done?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2011, 09:11 PM
Have you tried taking an antihistamine such as Loratadine or Certizerine - they are one a day pills? Personally I find Loratadine the best but it varies with people. Things that have been fine for your whole life, you can suddenly become allergic to. Allergies seem to be bad this year - I can testify to that

To get back to your question - no experience. Had skin tests done on the dogs - results were inconclusive.

Friend from work had tests done - she had dreadful allergies and it was found she was allergic to her very expensive nail polish
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2011, 09:13 PM
No experience but I would recommend upping your Vitamin C intake, this is a natural anti histamine with none of the side effects (apart from diarrhoea if you take mega doses)
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2011, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Have you tried taking an antihistamine such as Loratadine or Certizerine - they are one a day pills? Personally I find Loratadine the best but it varies with people. Things that have been fine for your whole life, you can suddenly become allergic to. Allergies seem to be bad this year - I can testify to that

To get back to your question - no experience. Had skin tests done on the dogs - results were inconclusive.

Friend from work had tests done - she had dreadful allergies and it was found she was allergic to her very expensive nail polish
It would be the first thing I looked at (any cosmetic stuff) but I use very little and have not changed anything.
I have tried the one a day things - but they did not seem to make a difference.

Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
No experience but I would recommend upping your Vitamin C intake, this is a natural anti histamine with none of the side effects (apart from diarrhoea if you take mega doses)
I have started the Vit C thing, got some slow release things from tescos. (833% of RDA, I think) been taking them about a week (although I have forgotten once or twice )
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2011, 09:37 PM
I take Vit C [+ Zinc] but it doesnt make much difference however I dont take it for hayfever, its to ward off germs during winter months, keep taking it all year round just in case of summer bugs

Bee Propalis - Holland + Barratt sell it in capsule form, natural antihistamine. Its not bad if you want something natural
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
I take Vit C [+ Zinc] but it doesnt make much difference however I dont take it for hayfever, its to ward off germs during winter months, keep taking it all year round just in case of summer bugs

Bee Propalis - Holland + Barratt sell it in capsule form, natural antihistamine. Its not bad if you want something natural
I started with the one + zinc, but the rda on that one was 137% vs the 833% on the slow release, which was why I changed.

May look into the bee propalis - thanks.
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2011, 04:07 PM
Do you mean a patch test?

I had one done, it turned out I was allergic to Nickel, and a few medications.

You wear the patches on your back for a few days, then they remove the patches and put sticky tape on your back, then a few more days later they remove the sticky tape and tell you what you're allergic too............

HTH x
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2011, 04:33 PM
Am sorry don't have any experience of scratch/patch tests but do suffer with allergy to the crops of rape at this time of year(n take loratadine). Is it a possibility that there's a different/new kind of crop or trees etc growing somewhere nearby, just a thought, hope you find out n find something to ease syptoms soon.