Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-01-2008, 06:54 PM

Do You Like Cats?

I was just wondering how many of the dog lovers on this site also like cats?

I personally cannot stand them! I used to own an aviary as a young lad, and cats were always killing my birds. I declared war on all cats the day I found my favourite Zebra Finch pulled through some chicken wire with his head missing!

From that day on, me and cats don't mix.

What about you guys?
kirstya72
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-01-2008, 07:02 PM
I don't particularly mind them as such but can't imagine having one!

They are a touch too superior for me I'm afraid
My parents have a cat that has kind of put me off-it doesn't like people much (except them) and seems to absolutely hate my dogs with a passion. They inherited it when their alcoholic neighbour died. They only took it in the short term until it had been found a rescue place but the cat never left paws firmly under the table after a few days.
This wee cat had not been well looked after at all, had fleas and mange and was never fed on any sort of regular basis, it is now spoiled rotten and rules the roost but its problems (not its fault) have made their house a doggy free zone which is a pain for me! (selfish I know)
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2008, 07:03 PM
I am sorry to hear about your bird, that would put you off, that is the problem with cats they have that killer instinct.
But i do love them, I have a big black monster and he doesn't go out much as he is old but if he sees a bird in the garden you would think he was a kitten again.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2008, 07:04 PM
Growing up as a kid we owned several cats .,as well as dogs .
I personally dont dislike cats , I just prefer to own dogs , But i think cats are quite nice ,xxdk
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2008, 07:08 PM
Never had them and don't want them. I find them very aloof with their attitude which just wouldn't suit the likes of me, I like love and affection in abundance from my animals! Apart from that, I like a nice house with leather furniture and the two just don't go together what with their spraying that they do and their scratching of the leather sofa! Also I like my birdies out in the garden and I hate what they do to those!!!Grrrrrr!! I zap 'em with the hose if I see them!!!

Apart from that, I like the look of some cats, just wouldn't want to own one I'm afraid, but I could never say I don't like them, coz I like all animals!
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-01-2008, 07:09 PM
Like 'em but couldn't eat a whole one Sorry...couldn't resist that one!!

I actually really like cats and my Mum always had loads of cats around when I was growing up despite my brother and I both developing an allergy to them. I can't have one now because my allergies have worsened over the years...well, that and the fact that my Rottie X has made it his mission in life to terrorise all cats...he's not working for you, is he?

You story actually really reminds me of my Mum's last cat. The man who lived behind us had an aviary of finches & canaries. Birds were disappearing but the aviary seemed completely secure and no-one couldn't figure out what was happening to them. Until one day, my Mum's big tom cat came over our back wall with a mouthful of bright yellow feathers The phantom bird snatcher was revealed. Mind you, he was the laziest cat ever and caged birds were the only prey the big sod ever managed to catch
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2008, 07:11 PM
Cats, FANTASTIC! Wouldnt be without them and have 6 as opposed to 3 of my own Dogs. I love their independant nature, their physique, their ability to survive. I must say the british shorthairs I have have really taken me in.

I used to own an aviary as a young lad, and cats were always killing my birds. I declared war on all cats the day I found my favourite Zebra Finch pulled through some chicken wire with his head missing!
Sorry to hear that, its unfortunate, but many people do not secure their properties correctly and ultimately its their Birds that will suffer. My grandfather had over 200 racing Pigeons and over 60 fancy pigeons. He had 4 Cats too, not one lost ever to the Cats, the aviary was secure, and if Im honest couldnt imagine a Bird putting its head close enough to the wire and a cat be able to get its leg through, grab the bird and pull it through! and all this time the bird having stayed there, Seems impossible?

Thats me though.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2008, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Never had them and don't want them. I find them very aloof with their attitude which just wouldn't suit the likes of me, I like love and affection in abundance from my animals! Apart from that, I like a nice house with leather furniture and the two just don't go together what with their spraying that they do and their scratching of the leather sofa!:shock: Also I like my birdies out in the garden and I hate what they do to those!!!Grrrrrr!! I zap 'em with the hose if I see them!!!
Apart from that, I like the look of some cats, just wouldn't want to own one I'm afraid, but I could never say I don't like them, coz I like all animals!
Some breeds are aloof, many are as if not more affectionate than any dog.

I like a nice house too, I have 6 cats, why is this hard to believe? Cats dont scratch furniture if they have access to scratching posts, and they dont spray if they are neutered. Same with dogs Helena, they eat furniture, they rip things up, they cock their leg up, not all but basically for the same reasons a cat would.

I like Birds too, in fact this morning we had over 16 Birds on the feeders, mostly goldfinches, with the 6 cats too, perhaps if I didnt have them Id of had over 30 birds??

I think your views of what Cats are like and responsible for are a bit outdated. The biggest killer of songbirds in the UK is by other Birds, by way of Trichomoniasis, Salmonella and Bird predation by other Birds, Cats dont figure anywhere near them, and even then its guessing, unlike the devastating diseases killing them where acurate measurements can be taken.
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2008, 07:19 PM
I love my Kitties!! specially my ginger one, whatever room i'm in she's in even the bath room!!
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2008, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Never had them and don't want them. I find them very aloof with their attitude which just wouldn't suit the likes of me, I like love and affection in abundance from my animals! Apart from that, I like a nice house with leather furniture and the two just don't go together what with their spraying that they do and their scratching of the leather sofa! Also I like my birdies out in the garden and I hate what they do to those!!!Grrrrrr!! I zap 'em with the hose if I see them!!!

Ah ha, there's finally something that's different between us lol

We have two rescue cats and I have rehomed about 70 after a local factory disappeared leaving their feral cats behind, and had them all spayed/neutered too!

I have leather couches (as you know lol) but as the cats stay upstairs it doesn't matter.... and neither of them spray as they are both done.
Having the dogs in the garden also means the birds are safe too.

As for the garden hose, my Mum's cat was run over after it was squirted by our neighbours hose, for sitting on the fence. She ran away in fear, was hit by a car and fell down a hole left in the road by workmen, where she died of her injuries all alone.
My Mum searched everywhere for her and I can still remember when Mum was told she'd been found and what had happened, so please never squirt cats.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »