Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vikki123
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-01-2011, 12:46 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
I dont agree with the breeding of crossbreeds... except for health reasons, or with a specific aim in mind where a proper plan has been set up... designer 'breeds' dont do that. I dont think anyone who breeds those dogs are ethical breeders...
I have to disagree there.

What would be the specific aim in mind other than a dog which is to be kept as a family pet?
Obviously working dogs are different, but what percentage of dog owners actually "need" a dog to work? Not very many, most dogs now a days are pets and what is wrong with liking one type of dog over another whether it is a cross breed or not?

As many have said that some of the names of various cross breeds are funny, but they are just names.

Many dogs are "designer breeds", look at Staffies! How many of these are a status symbol and they are a pedigree!
I do think that compared to Staffies, Huskies and GSD not very many labradoodles and cockerpoos are seen in rescue centres!

I know that they are cross breeds, but labradoodles and cockerpoos can be great companion dogs and show very little aggression to other animals, children and other dogs, which cannot be said about some pedigrees!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 01:27 AM
Originally Posted by Vikki123 View Post

What would be the specific aim in mind other than a dog which is to be kept as a family pet?
Just coz a dog is a family pet doesnt mean it cant be a great example of its breed. So, with all the dogs dying in rescues everyday, you think its ok for people to breed purely to fulfill the pet market? Even if they dont give two hoots what they are breeding? I dont... i think dogs should be bred for other reasons, such as the breeder wanting to further the breed and keeping a pup themselves, either for showing or working. How can someone breeding crossbreeds be ethical?

Obviously working dogs are different, but what percentage of dog owners actually "need" a dog to work? Not very many, most dogs now a days are pets and what is wrong with liking one type of dog over another whether it is a cross breed or not?
but thats what i dont get, how can you like one type over another when these 'types' differ so greatly??

I know that they are cross breeds, but labradoodles and cockerpoos can be great companion dogs and show very little aggression to other animals, children and other dogs, which cannot be said about some pedigrees!
i dont see where that statement comes from... what causes that then? why are they less aggressive? at the end of the day, they are crosses so can get looks, temperament etc from either parents... its not reasonable to talk about them as though there is a standard for them... which there is for established breeds.
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-01-2011, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by animal-lover View Post
Just look at the state the KC was in before that tv programme was aired.Think you may find the KC were changing a few things long before that programme lol

The KC sometimes make me laugh,they have Scrufts i find this a complete load of pants.Mmmm How many shows has Elmo and Honey B been entered in!!!
They don't like crossbreeds or mongrels they said to one of my friends what do you get out of entering you dogs in this?
I think they just have introduced this silly competition to make themselves look good.As above. Why have you entered shows actually being run via KC Rules
As far as i am concerned i just own crossbreeds and not to match my designer handbag cant afford one of them.
Depends on who ya are talkin too lol
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-01-2011, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by animal-lover View Post
Nope he didn't have a good start in life but we have done wonders with him and are very proud.What bad start!!! I thought ya bought him from a Doodle Breeder and ya have posted before about how all yar doodles parents had been health tested etc..Confusing me now
But then again we have done the same with our rescue Toy Poodle he nearly died on us as nobody knew he had Cushings Disease for ages even before we got him.
So yes hold my head up high and think we do ok with caring for our dear dog's.
As for double doodles mentioned previously WTF lol
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 09:23 AM

As many have said that some of the names of various cross breeds are funny, but they are just names.

Many dogs are "designer breeds", look at Staffies! How many of these are a status symbol and they are a pedigree!
I do think that compared to Staffies, Huskies and GSD not very many labradoodles and cockerpoos are seen in rescue centres!

Hmm......been here recently.

I personally feel that It is better to breed dogs who are suited as family pets (which incidentally - includes health and temperament screening) - than to continue with an established breed, just because it is established.

I started a thread (which was locked) about crossbreeding - you may find the majority of peoples opinions on there (Be warned...its about 30 pages....probably more )
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 09:40 AM
VIKKI:

Actually an increasing number of labradoodles etc do now seem to be showing up in rescue centres.
animal-lover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-01-2011, 10:17 AM
A doodle isn't a breed so perhaps thats why i love them.
Not into breeds.
Its silly you pick what dogs you like and we pick what we like simple,
I dont tell you how to spend your money.
Or should this country become like the Nazi camp only blue eyed and blonde hair people!¬!!!!!
animal-lover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-01-2011, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
VIKKI:

Actually an increasing number of labradoodles etc do now seem to be showing up in rescue centres.
Not so many as other types of dogs like staffies.
I have rescued only about 6 doodles last year.
Vikki123
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-01-2011, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
Just coz a dog is a family pet doesnt mean it cant be a great example of its breed. So, with all the dogs dying in rescues everyday, you think its ok for people to breed purely to fulfill the pet market? Even if they dont give two hoots what they are breeding? I dont... i think dogs should be bred for other reasons, such as the breeder wanting to further the breed and keeping a pup themselves, either for showing or working. How can someone breeding crossbreeds be ethical?

This is irrelevant, anyone who breeds dogs are adding to the pet market whether they are pedigrees or cross breeds! I have visited my local RSPCA recently and all I saw were staffies, mastiffs and German Shepherd mixes, they may be nice dogs, but they are not dogs that I would want! People who prefer large dogs probably wouldn't get a small one just because they know there are some in rescue! You can't say that a breeder is unethical just because they do not breed pedigrees! In fact imo people who breed pugs and bulldogs to the breed standard are unethical, as those breeds have the worst health problems and the breeders know that, but continue to breed as a status in the show ring and for money! Whereas cross breeds and mutts tend to be healthier (obviously not always if the breeder hasn't performed proper health screening, but that can happen with pedigree breeders too).

but thats what i dont get, how can you like one type over another when these 'types' differ so greatly??

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by that? People do like different breeds or types of dogs, that's why dogs are bred and why people own certain breeds

i dont see where that statement comes from... what causes that then? why are they less aggressive? at the end of the day, they are crosses so can get looks, temperament etc from either parents... its not reasonable to talk about them as though there is a standard for them... which there is for established breeds.
Well labradoodles and cockerpoos are all crosses of gundogs and each of these breeds (cocker spaniels, labradors, poodles) also tend to make good family pets as well as good dogs for obedience training. If you put two gentle gundogs together you are probably still going to get a gentle dog. They still have to be responsibly bred and ensure that both parents have good temperaments, but that's just like with pedigrees anyway.
animal-lover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-01-2011, 10:26 AM
Just would like to point out yes i do help to rehome them as well.
At least i do something good in life not like some.
You all can sit there with your pedigree dogs and moan and moan about others.
Why dont you do something useful in helping this world.
Stop breeding for a start and rescue at least one dog each instead.
Page 12 of 28 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 > Last »