Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Haz
New Member!
Male 

11-10-2006, 02:22 PM

Chew, chew chew......

Hi, my young cocker spaniel has developed this habit of pulling his plastic toys apart and swallowing the plastic which he then brings back up a few hours later. Yesterday, he managed to chew his way into a plastic rugby ball and eat the 'squeaky' bit! I am a bit anxious as to how 'safe' these toys are. Any advice please?
janie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2006, 02:25 PM

I take away any toys, as soon as my lot start to take apart..
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2006, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by Haz View Post
Hi, my young cocker spaniel has developed this habit of pulling his plastic toys apart and swallowing the plastic which he then brings back up a few hours later. Yesterday, he managed to chew his way into a plastic rugby ball and eat the 'squeaky' bit! I am a bit anxious as to how 'safe' these toys are. Any advice please?
Welcome haz.

I would perhaps try and find something else for your pup to chew if he swallows bits. He could cause himself to have a blockage which could result in surgery. Harder toys may be better.

I hope he isn't squeaking now!!!!!
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2006, 02:29 PM
welcome to dogsey .....same here i take them away once mine start shredding them I did read in the Perfect puppy book this should be done to teach a pup who is boss as well
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-10-2006, 03:06 PM
Hi
maybe try a kong (or similar) instead of the plastic toys. They do a range of sturdy ones, including puppy ones. The dental kong I bought has lasted months, my son's leather football was left out this morning & now has a huge hole in it so I know what you're going through.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2006, 03:10 PM
Yep - take them away as soon as they start to disintegrate. Lennon destroys all in his wake also...
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2006, 11:33 PM
I just use nylabone and kong toys for my dog. I don't want to run the risk of her swallowing anything she shouldn't!!

There are so many dog toys on the market that just don't last a second with a chewer.