Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
colliesrus
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-08-2006, 11:51 AM

a suitable diet for sensitive stomach, opinions please

Indy has an ultra sensitive stomach. the only reliable solution to this ive found is this...

400gms tripe
occassional veggie mush/potatoes
glucosamine/oils/multivits & minerals
very, very occassionally a raw lambs kidney

once or twice a week chicken leg, fed raw but with nothing else that day except maybe some bio yoghurt.

its not what i would describe as a barf diet. dunno what you'd call it really. thing is, ive been told you cant feed tripe that often and that its not complete enough. anyone any ideas on either whats missing. its the only thing hes settled on. all the suppliments are proper doggy ones and with the vits i dont give quite the full RDA as i dont want to od him on them.

he cant have any cereals or other raw meat, eggs, etc. even Burns and NatureDiet upset him.

opinions please.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2006, 02:37 PM
I know lots of people who pretty much feed nothing but tripe ... if he is managing ok and looking good I'd stick at it and well done .... how on earth did you work out the combination to suit him
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2006, 02:45 PM
I guess if you are adding good quality supplements it might be fine but without them I would definitely say not balanced.

You might wanna say what his supplements are so people can make recommendations on those.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2006, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by colliesrus
Indy has an ultra sensitive stomach. the only reliable solution to this ive found is this...

400gms tripe
occassional veggie mush/potatoes
glucosamine/oils/multivits & minerals
very, very occassionally a raw lambs kidney

once or twice a week chicken leg, fed raw but with nothing else that day except maybe some bio yoghurt.

its not what i would describe as a barf diet. dunno what you'd call it really. thing is, ive been told you cant feed tripe that often and that its not complete enough. anyone any ideas on either whats missing. its the only thing hes settled on. all the suppliments are proper doggy ones and with the vits i dont give quite the full RDA as i dont want to od him on them.

he cant have any cereals or other raw meat, eggs, etc. even Burns and NatureDiet upset him.

opinions please.
Well done for finding something he can tolerate! Have you tried any cooked meat such as chicken or lamb? Any fish - raw, cooked or tinned (sardines in oil, tuna in oil or salmon in oil?). Scrambled egg?
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-08-2006, 05:06 PM
I too was going to suggest fish. I feed raw fish when I can get it but at least once or twice a week I feed tinned pilchards or mackerel in oil. AMP also sell white fish mince in frozen blocks which you can get from PAH.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2006, 05:50 PM
Dr Pitcairns book Natural Health for Cats and Dogs I think it's called (???) might be a good read for you.

It takes you through how to feed a dog a homemeade diet, (even has recipes) and apparently has helped to cure many dogs of their allergies.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1...UTF8&s=gateway

Apart from that I don't know what to suggest, sorry.
colliesrus
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-08-2006, 06:12 PM
the vitamin suppliments are vetvits multivitamins ands minerals, everything a dog requires basically.

i can and do feed fish - tinned mackeral or pilchards in tomato sauce, i share a 400gm tin between the 3 of them. they have that once a week, usually at weekends for their smelly breakfast lol. sorry, forgot that on the original list. raw fish or minced AMP fish or the whole one from tescos, tried them all both raw and cooked and all had smelly results! any type of stock, meat or fish upsets him too.

have just made a massive load of veggie mush from my grandads home grown cast offs, stinks like grass cuttings but it had the dogs drooling, weird lot. he doesnt have it everyday, just a couple of times a week.

my own personal opinion on it is that better he eat this way and absorbs all the nutrients i give him rather than try to feed a complete food that gives him the squits unless i feed way under the recommended amount in which case hes far too thin and not getting enough nutrients anyway. he cant absorb them if its going straight through him.

interesting the general concensus of opinion is that its ok, i was told you would all disagree with it!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2006, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by colliesrus
the vitamin suppliments are vetvits multivitamins ands minerals, everything a dog requires basically.

i can and do feed fish - tinned mackeral or pilchards in tomato sauce, i share a 400gm tin between the 3 of them. they have that once a week, usually at weekends for their smelly breakfast lol. sorry, forgot that on the original list. raw fish or minced AMP fish or the whole one from tescos, tried them all both raw and cooked and all had smelly results! any type of stock, meat or fish upsets him too.

have just made a massive load of veggie mush from my grandads home grown cast offs, stinks like grass cuttings but it had the dogs drooling, weird lot. he doesnt have it everyday, just a couple of times a week.

my own personal opinion on it is that better he eat this way and absorbs all the nutrients i give him rather than try to feed a complete food that gives him the squits unless i feed way under the recommended amount in which case hes far too thin and not getting enough nutrients anyway. he cant absorb them if its going straight through him.

interesting the general concensus of opinion is that its ok, i was told you would all disagree with it!
We can disagree with you if you want?!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2006, 06:15 PM
If your dog is lively, fit and healthy then I would say you are doing ok. Not too sure about the offal though if it has a sensitive stomach, still if it works, it works
colliesrus
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-08-2006, 06:20 PM
lol@ripsnorter

he can cope with one kidney, thats all. liver and heart are too rich. Spy is a dustbin and can eat anything, Laddie is somewhere in between. theyre quite a strange bunch!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >