Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-08-2017, 09:31 PM

Our collie

I've been posting here for a while. Some pics of my dog, the good and the bad behaviour. Not much of the latter I have to say. He walks off the lead almost everywhere. But we have illegal dirt bikers in the parks where we stroll and he has had a tendency to chase them down. Apparently it is a hard wired prey drive in the breed and, according to a behaviourist, almost impossible to train out of.

But today, he bucked that trend. "Wait" and he did. We have had him for a bit over two years now and has taken the time anyone should invest in their dog. I could say it's been hard work but, in truth, it has not. As I've posted before, he just learns. Takes clues might express it better. We walk a lot but he lies and waits until I get my boots on, load up with poo bags, some treats* , some of the folding kind if we go by the store, my camera, get the lead and don my jacket. And he is good about getting his raincoat on when the weather requires it.

He goes out the front gate and waits to be told left or right.
It's hard to believe this is the timid rescue dog that would,t even get in the car a couple of years ago. Now, a thousand miles or so with pee breaks is routine.

We got lucky.
CooperTheGrey
New Member!
Female 

25-08-2017, 08:40 AM
Just goes to show rescue dogs can over come anything and make amazing companions with a bit of time and dedication.

I got another dog a few months back who was tied to a tree in the middle of nowhere, super skinny and the vet gave him a body score of 1.5, on a drip for 4 days but made a great recovery and is very smart and looks like he will make a great agility or competition dog one day.

It definitely pays off to invest time and training into your dog!
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-08-2017, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by CooperTheGrey View Post
Just goes to show rescue dogs can over come anything and make amazing companions with a bit of time and dedication.

I got another dog a few months back who was tied to a tree in the middle of nowhere, super skinny and the vet gave him a body score of 1.5, on a drip for 4 days but made a great recovery and is very smart and looks like he will make a great agility or competition dog one day.

It definitely pays off to invest time and training into your dog!
True although ours has had little by way of formal training - he learns I guess by observation.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-08-2017, 09:46 PM
A little story from the sunny day...

A doggy tail that might give you a smile.
Two mums with baby buggies. Max, as he does, went to greet them and laid beside one of them.
"Look, he's coming with us!"
The other:
"No, he's sheltering from the sun underneath your parasol..."

Smart dog.