Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2010, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I think you're confusing me with someone who's 15 years old!

I'm very much pro working and very much pro showing, that hasn't changed and I'd really love for you to point out to me in this thread where I've said anything other than that. My problem and the point of this thread, is to debate the breeding of ESS with excessive feathering when the breed standard does not call for it.
Then perhaps you should take it up with the breeders you are critisizing, because I see no problem with the dogs they exhibit, none at all.

I can't breed Isla because of her cataracts and I'm very proud of the fact I've taken that decision.
So you should be!

To see beyond your own goals and desires and put the dog and breed first is not something that happens often enough imo. My time will come with the ESS and I'm more than happy to wait.
Im sure it will, but dont rip to shreds those that are enjoying success now.

I might start showing her again if her coat stays "sane", but it I don't doesn't mean I love her any less. Or the breed for that matter, the ESS is a passion for me - always will be. With moderate feathering.
Moderate in YOUR definition, not in many others, all opinion.

Oscar is a work in progress. I bought him to work him, showing was just going to be an aside really. He's come on leaps and bounds of late and I'm really chuffed with his progress. He might never learn to enjoy showing, but time will tell. I certainly won't push the matter with him, there's more to life than showing after all. And when Oscar is hunting, pointing and retrieving I'm guessing he'd agree with me!
There certainly is more to life than showing, Id like to see the work he has been doing, I love the HPR breeds out in the field, post some pics.

So you see, you may see bitterness, but all I have is a love for the dogs I own. Inspite of all their idiosyncrasies.
Same here, I have one dog I show, 2 I have never showed and one that decided it was "boring" so I stopped showing her. Still mean as much to me as all the others.

I think, as always Dawn, you see what you want to see to fit your preconceived perceptions. You've lost the argument, so in an effort to feel like you're winning again and feel better about yourself you try and put the other person down. JMO of course
What are you talking about? There is no argument Rips, its purely and utterly YOUR opinion on a dogs coat! Nothing more!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2010, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Hohohoho

Eye wide open here Lynn, I CAN see past the smoke....

Can I ask why you keep putting letters in brackets?
I don't do smileys---it means grin. It comes of years of e mailing.

I have no idea what the rest of your post means .

rune
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2010, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn
Then perhaps you should take it up with the breeders you are critisizing, because I see no problem with the dogs they exhibit, none at all.

Im sure it will, but dont rip to shreds those that are enjoying success now.

Moderate in YOUR definition, not in many others, all opinion.

What are you talking about? There is no argument Rips, its purely and utterly YOUR opinion on a dogs coat! Nothing more!
Oh I'm not ripping any breeder to shreds, I'm just interested in debating the topic is all. It is a forum after all! Like I said in the beginning, the very heavily coated ESS are becoming numerically less now, resorting back to the correct term "moderate feathering".

And of course you wouldn't see anything wrong with the dogs, you're 100% pro showing. Showing can do no wrong in your eyes. JMO of course. Me I prefer to look at things individually from all angles and then make up my mind.

Re moderate feathering, please see below my previous post:

Again I will produce the definition of moderate:
Being within reasonable limits; not excessive or extreme:

The second dog pic I posted is not moderately feathered. A working gundog does not need that amount of feathering, it was not and is not necessary. It does not serve any purpose other than to make the dog appear more glamorous. It has been bred in due to fashion reasons by people who had little regard for the dogs working background (although it has to be said this is slowly changing and with it dogs of excessive coat that I've posted are now on the decline). This isn't an opinion, it's fact. If that was the correct coat according to the standard then ESS will have looked that way since the year dot. Yet low and behold when you look back at the show pictures from decades ago the ESS looked more like the first picture I posted. Therefore the conclusion is the dogs have been bred with excessive coat so as to look more glamorous for the show ring. It doesn't matter how many times you ask me to look at the links, this fact will never change (I have looked, many, many times, everytime you've posted them in such a debate in fact, although I have already stated that I don't feel Mompesson are one of the kennels to breed dogs with excessive coats (see post 51)). Pictures of dogs retrieving in grassland is lovely - when they are Labradors.

Just incase you missed it.

Originally Posted by Borderdawn
There certainly is more to life than showing, Id like to see the work he has been doing, I love the HPR breeds out in the field, post some pics.
Here are a few on Grinton Moor this March. Very difficult to get pics when you train and work alone, but hopefully that will be changing in the near future.

I'm so, so pleased with him. He's such a joy to train and work. The trainer would've taken him home if I'd let her, but I passed.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2010, 10:46 PM
Lovely pics and a lovely place.

I haven't been back with Etta but have been quartering and she is stopping on the whistle now and dropping but not as fast as I would like. The rest she can more or less do but needs to keep practising and her self control lets her down sometimes (G)!

I'd like to do the scurry this w/e at a local game fair but I don't think it is going to happen.

It is great to see them doing what they were designed to do.

rune
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2010, 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post

I haven't been back with Etta but have been quartering and she is stopping on the whistle now and dropping but not as fast as I would like. The rest she can more or less do but needs to keep practising and her self control lets her down sometimes (G)!

I'd like to do the scurry this w/e at a local game fair but I don't think it is going to happen.

rune
Is Etta the Spaniel? I can't remember!

Oscar is amazing, it's awe inspiring to see how much of it is just pure instinct. I think he would benefit from some brace hunting tbh as he's weakest point is the flush. He points and then when you send him in he just stares at you, almost too scared to move!

But at 15 months old he quarters nicely, needs to gain more confidence and go wider mind, points and is now learning to retrieve which he loves! Not bad going and it's not a lot to do with me before people think I've got a big head!

Have you tried blowing the stop whistle and immediately throwing a dummy up? You need to make sure the dog is steady, but I tend to find it helps to turn a negative command (stopping!) into a positive one by introducing a retrieve if the stop command is followed.

I wanted to do a scurry with Oscar at Raby Castle Game Fair, but it was up hill and out of sight and I don't think he would've had the confidence to go out of sight. He's very much a Mummy's boy! Maybe next year though, good luck with yours if it happens.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2010, 07:23 AM
Thanks, I use the ball generally as I am usually together with that and the whistle and dog at the same time! Then the ball goes as reward. I also use it for control so she has to sit and wait then I get it or she is sent. She can't sit through a huge throw yet but she is fine if other people chuck the dummy about, ball is higher value.

Dummy isn't used a lot because I am working on clickering the pick up and the hold, she tends to mouth a bit to get it straight in her mouth. She isn't very big and she does find it a bit large I think, she has the same issues with larger balls. She retrieves fine to hand.

I have the opposite problem with the quartering and TBH I have no idea what she'd do if she put a rabbit up---I have a feeling the stop whistle wouldn't hack it!

Thats quite important I think!

Its fun though whatever she does. She is a the springer and she is 15mths now.

rune
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2010, 11:28 AM
I don't do smileys---it means grin. It comes of years of e mailing.

I have no idea what the rest of your post means .

rune
Ok gotcha now, I did wonder.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2010, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Oh I'm not ripping any breeder to shreds, I'm just interested in debating the topic is all. It is a forum after all! Like I said in the beginning, the very heavily coated ESS are becoming numerically less now, resorting back to the correct term "moderate feathering".

And of course you wouldn't see anything wrong with the dogs, you're 100% pro showing. Showing can do no wrong in your eyes. JMO of course. Me I prefer to look at things individually from all angles and then make up my mind.

Re moderate feathering, please see below my previous post:

Again I will produce the definition of moderate:
Being within reasonable limits; not excessive or extreme:

The second dog pic I posted is not moderately feathered. A working gundog does not need that amount of feathering, it was not and is not necessary. It does not serve any purpose other than to make the dog appear more glamorous. It has been bred in due to fashion reasons by people who had little regard for the dogs working background (although it has to be said this is slowly changing and with it dogs of excessive coat that I've posted are now on the decline). This isn't an opinion, it's fact. If that was the correct coat according to the standard then ESS will have looked that way since the year dot. Yet low and behold when you look back at the show pictures from decades ago the ESS looked more like the first picture I posted. Therefore the conclusion is the dogs have been bred with excessive coat so as to look more glamorous for the show ring. It doesn't matter how many times you ask me to look at the links, this fact will never change (I have looked, many, many times, everytime you've posted them in such a debate in fact, although I have already stated that I don't feel Mompesson are one of the kennels to breed dogs with excessive coats (see post 51)). Pictures of dogs retrieving in grassland is lovely - when they are Labradors.

Just incase you missed it.

Here are a few on Grinton Moor this March. Very difficult to get pics when you train and work alone, but hopefully that will be changing in the near future.

I'm so, so pleased with him. He's such a joy to train and work. The trainer would've taken him home if I'd let her, but I passed.
Do you have any of him on point? It looks like he is having a walk across the moors there, I love to see them point. Take a video camera next time if you can, its a joy to watch again and again. One of my Borders does it.

Not sure what all your bold print means, of course I am pro showing thats pretty obvious, but my dogs WORK too, as they should. Just like show Springers can and do, you just dont want to see. Id love to see a pic of ANY dog in THICK cover, you cant see the damn things!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2010, 11:33 AM

rune
I find myself in total agreement with you here!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2010, 04:05 PM
I really like the idea that I have a dog that can be trained to do so many diverse things.

KC events are out for gundog stuff as she is not registered and of course it'd be a waste of time to show her even if she was registered. Other than that pretty much everything is within reach and she is capable of it. Which is what I wanted.

So to me the breed standard is irrelevant, as it is to a lot of owners---probably the majority.

rune
Page 16 of 35 « First < 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 26 > Last »