View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2006, 01:32 PM

Finding a supplier of RMBs (where to obtain raw meaty bones?)

Do any of you find it increasingly difficult obtaining bones?

Years ago I could get any amount of whole lamb ribcage complete with neck, from my local slaughterhouse for free. This of couse dried when BSE appeared. I could then get a fairly good supply from a local butcher but when that became difficult I moved on to supermarkets.

My local Tesco will not supply bones but Morrisons did and they made a nominal charge for small quantities of nice meaty lamb ribs, neck, etc. But today I've been told they can no longer do this, and the butcher there didn't know why!

Does anyone actually know the regulations governing the supply of bones?
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2006, 01:40 PM
I think its purely the fact most butchers etc need to send the remains back to the supplier as they then make money on the 'rubbish' grinding it down to make dog food etc. Thats what my bone supplier told me. He gets charged for the privildge and loves me to visit to take a whole load off his hands. Unfortunatley he is miles from you in Gateshead.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2006, 02:47 PM
Very difficult! I don't feed mine raw at the mo but the new pup will hopefully be getting some, starting with chicken wings etc. But getting anything more substantial is going to be nigh on impossible to get with living in the North of England.

Went to Morrisons for some big bones and the Butcher said "Oh I wouldn't give bones to dogs it's dangerous!"

Yeah thanks for that!
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2006, 03:04 PM
A small local butcher gives them away - big marrow bones and those polystyrene trays with various bones. I only discovered this 2 weeks ago!!
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2006, 03:15 PM
just be glad... i was like that until end of last year, my butcher was happy to give them away. Now he has so many people that they are in demand, so he started charging for stuff he used to throw out, like chicken carcasses, lamb ribs....!!

guess it's my own fault for telling everyone about the benefits of raw feeding. Oh well, I guess i wanted more healthy dogs!
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2006, 08:53 PM
Funnily enough up to today I have had problems finding the bones, I normally get mine from Landywoods, but someone I knew has a friend that works in an abbotoir(sp) and can get me all the bones etc, so I put my order in today and should have a supply this weekend, and most of it is free.

Mo
juliekelham
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-05-2006, 09:18 PM
wish some of you lived closer to me,cose we get far too many [up to 25 boxes a week of lamb and chicken bones] they feed my 12 dogs,all of suttys, sansorellas pack,and about six other breeders and we still sometimes have a few boxes spare
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2006, 09:24 PM
My local abattoir closed down when the new EU regulations came into force. Some of you are very lucky to have such good supplies!

I suppose just one of the downfalls of living over here on the edge of the world
colliemad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-05-2006, 10:23 AM
I get chicken carcases from my butcher, he can get me as many as I want. He also saves lamb bones for me every week and I get lamb breast from him which is about £2 a piece. One piece of lamb breast does three dogs one meal so they are fairly large, ask the butcher if they can supply that on the bone. Are there any poultry suppliers near you? Maybe they could help with a regular supply? I don't give mine chicken wings very often as they tend to eat them too fast and choke. The lamb bones I get are a mixture of back bones, necks and ribs with some leg and shoulder bones mixed in which I give them as recreational, I think it costs me a little more but it is still cheap to feed three dogs.
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2006, 11:23 AM
I have tried to find a regular source of chicken but these have all proved to be unreliable and not really worth the bother so I've gone back to buying chicken legs/wings from the supermarket shelf. With only three dogs now, it's not that expensive.

All the butchers I've asked have either got very little to offer or say they won't supply bones