View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2009, 01:31 PM
Thanks everyone - well we went to the vets this morning and was told it could be a number of things - infection etc... He gave her an antibiotic injection and took her temperature & a swab for testing.
She's to stay on chicken & rice and going back to vets on Thursday. If she stops drinking or is sick they will need to take her in. He also commented that she is thin.
Vaccinations have been postponed until she's right.
She ate the chicken & rice at 10.30am & been very quite & sleepy since then.
It's all such a worry - want to be able to enjoy her. Fingers crossed she gets over this soon.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2009, 01:43 PM
Just read through all of this, and I'm so very sorry you're going through all this with your new little puppy. I once had a puppy who was really sick for the first couple of weeks, wouldn't eat a thing, bloody diarrheah, sickness, and my gut instinct is she had distemper, although my vet never did come up with an answer, we just got her through it all, but she was very, very poorly. It's not surprising when you watch them pick up just about everything out in the garden, and then you have to run around chasing them to get it off them leaves, clumps of grass, anything could have a nasty bacteria in it and considering she's not had her 2nd jab she's not really covered to her full extent. Hopefully the ab's will start doing their job and you'll have the happy bouncy pup you're supposed to be enjoying! I've done the same as you in the past, rifling through poo with a piece of twig! Lol! YOu become obsessed with poo when you have dogs I'm sure of it! All the best with your little puppy, I'm sure the vets will sort her out.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2009, 02:03 PM
I think if she had anything really serious you would know about it by now. She's been OK for days now apart from a little blood and mucus so I bet it's just an odd thing that the ABs will clear up nicely.

Don't let it ruin your fun. You have a puppy young lady and she is GORGEOUS!! ;o)
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2009, 02:06 PM
Zeita has beenb back and foward tothe vets for this over nearly 2 weeks. he thinks its an infection of the colon. She is on Abs and Kaolin paste.She has been well in herself all through. Todays poo was nearly normal she has not had to come off her usual dry food but I have stopped treats and raw tripe for now until we know whats causing it.

Hope your baby gets well soon xxx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-01-2009, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
Thanks everyone - well we went to the vets this morning and was told it could be a number of things - infection etc... He gave her an antibiotic injection and took her temperature & a swab for testing.
She's to stay on chicken & rice and going back to vets on Thursday. If she stops drinking or is sick they will need to take her in. He also commented that she is thin.
Vaccinations have been postponed until she's right.
She ate the chicken & rice at 10.30am & been very quite & sleepy since then.
It's all such a worry - want to be able to enjoy her. Fingers crossed she gets over this soon.
Hi Tillymint, puppies have immature immune systems which makes them susceptible to infection (just like small children) and they gradually build up a resistance . If there is infection the ABs should help.

Often though tests taken on a puppy with a poorly tummy prove to be negative and the puppies tummy's settle as they adjust to new surroundings, so don't be too concerned just yet.

Did you check with the rescue when Tilly was last wormed? If she is wormy that can give her diarrhoea .

I hope Tilly is better soon so that you can really start to enjoy her
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2009, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Tillymint, puppies have immature immune systems which makes them susceptible to infection (just like small children) and they gradually build up a resistance . If there is infection the ABs should help.

Often though tests taken on a puppy with a poorly tummy prove to be negative and the puppies tummy's settle as they adjust to new surroundings, so don't be too concerned just yet.

Did you check with the rescue when Tilly was last wormed? If she is wormy that can give her diarrhoea .

I hope Tilly is better soon so that you can really start to enjoy her
Yes she was wormed on 9th Jan.
She's eaten more today than she has all week, (all her chicken & rice portions) so took her out for poo this afternoon rather than wait to inspect it indoors. I hope nobody was listening over the fence - As hubby called me to look & we discussed how nice it looked & checked it's consistency lol!
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2009, 08:57 AM
UPDATE - Took Tilly back to the vets yesterday for a check. Her poos are looking better but some still have that bloody mucus at the end (especially her night time one) he gave her another anti biotic jab & said we could take her off the chicken & rice & put her back on the puppy food she was on when we got her & if she's not keen to get some tinned puppy food to make it more meaty/appealing.

I mixed the dried food with a little warm water this morning - and she ate it though I could tell she wasn't as keen as she was on the tinned chicken & rice.
Her test results will be back next week & she can have her 2nd vaccinations then too.
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-01-2009, 02:07 PM
good stuff Tilly....hope all will be fine...mixing water with kibble ...hummm becarefull there to.water will bloat the kibble in the tummy quikley, small anount is fine ..to much can cause bloat .i give mine water 1 hour after they have eaten,vet recommended this....ask yours about this it may just be an opinion....pics please!!!!!
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2009, 11:17 AM
... It cleared up after Tilly's 2nd antibiotic jab & she's been fine now since Friday.
We just got the test reults back from the vet & it was Campila Bacta.
I can't imagine how she picked this up. It started 2 days after we brought her home from RSPCA. - They were convinced it was stress of being in a new home etc..
She hasn't had any raw meat & none of us has had a tummy upset - (it can be passed to/from humans) but she has been in the garden picking up everything in her path - maybe bird poo?
(I've pressure washed the patio now & swept all the leaves etc..!!)
Anyway she's just had her 2nd vacs and we can take her out in a week - can't wait!! and so glad she's better.
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-01-2009, 11:28 AM
I'm glad she is better. Bet you can't wait to take her on walks.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >