Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-09-2013, 11:17 AM

Another Grand Mal Seizure

Pereg was at Day 38 and has had another bad seizure. I was in the bedroom when I heard her crash down - she was in the little hallway between the kitchen and salon and was just about wedged across it. The full-blown seizure lasted almost three minutes [one of the reasons I have clocks everywhere so I can time them] before she started to come out of it, but took her another five minutes before she tried to get up, only she just kept falling back again every time she tried - she could only get her head and front legs partly up and then she just crashed down again.

Her next medication was not due until 3pm but I gave it to her as soon as she finally managed to get up and stopped staggering around, crashing into everything and would come to me - not sure yet whether to give her another dose at 3 or leave it for a couple of hours and then do the usual and give her a double dose at 11pm. I also gave her 10mg Diazepam to try to get her to calm down as she was having very bad post-ictal activity, nagging for food [but she had only just eaten maybe half an hour earlier], and grabbing at my arms and legs.

I had to give her something to eat because she just would not stop, so gave her a bowl of frozen courgette chunkss, then another one of frozen pumpkin chunks when she started grabbing at me again, and she has just settled. The only problem is that if I move she is up again and this could go on all afternoon.

I just hope this is not the start of yet another bad series of Grand Mals.

S I G H
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2013, 11:28 AM
Oh no
Hugs and licks to the both of you - hope thats is it for a while at least x x
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-09-2013, 11:31 AM
Not Again she was doing so well this time.
Hope this is the only one and she doesn't have any more, poor girl. Hope you are both OK Malka
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-09-2013, 11:32 AM
What an ordeal for both of you. Hope it was just a blip and everything remains calm.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-09-2013, 11:35 AM
When I saw the topic heading I immediately thought of Pereg and you, Malka. What can I say except that I'm so sorry this has happened when she was getting along so well. Chloe, Sashicat and I send our love and lots of hugs.
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-09-2013, 12:51 PM
I echo what everyone else as said hopefully a blip big licks from the gang
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2013, 01:12 PM
Oh dear. Bad news. If you aren't sure regarding the giving of the meds why notring your vet and get his advice about it?
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-09-2013, 01:27 PM
(((Hugs))) for both of you Malka.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-09-2013, 01:59 PM
Having gone through Pereg's seizure diary and noted what I had given her in the past and whether or not it helped, I have decided to give her 65mg Pb [her usual dosage at 7am and 11pm] at 6pm and then another 100mg at 11pm - 100mg being her usual 3pm dose which I gave her early following the seizure.

I have also just had to give her another 10mg Diazepam as she started getting antsy again, and the important thing is to get her to rest as much as possible to get over such a violent seizure.

My Vet is fully aware of what I give her following a seizure and is happy for me to do what I consider best for her. We have, after all, discussed this many times during the last 2½ years. And there is no way I would dream of calling the emergency number today, it being Rosh Hashana - nor would I do so on a Shabbat, unless it really was an emergency. And in Pereg's case it would only be an emergency if I could not stop her clustering or if she went into Status.

It is just a matter of juggling dosage and timings and when I typed out my OP I was obviously extremely upset that she had had another seizure and at that time had not worked out dosages and timings. Now I have and am satisfied with my decision.
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2013, 02:59 PM
Poor Pereg. Seizures are so scary! Mouse had three last fall/winter. They weren't grand mauls, but still scared the crap outta me! Mouse's vinegar allergy has become very serious. I would absolutely hate to see her in a gm, I panicked enough with the one she had!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »