Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dieseldaft
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-01-2013, 02:21 PM

Tried raw now my dog has the runs!

Hi everyone

Tried Diesel with a raw meaty bone for the first time ever last night and he absolutely loved it! Was planning on giving him a bone once or twice a week to keep his teeth nice. (He is fed on Burns dry food)

However this morning I got up to a big pile of really runny poo on the carpet It was a pork rib bone i gave him.

Is it worth persevering and trying again in a few days or maybe the pork doesn't suit him and I should try something different etc? Any advice welcome as I'm completely new to this
Thanks in advance!
Leona
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-01-2013, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by Dieseldaft View Post
Hi everyone

Tried Diesel with a raw meaty bone for the first time ever last night and he absolutely loved it! Was planning on giving him a bone once or twice a week to keep his teeth nice. (He is fed on Burns dry food)

However this morning I got up to a big pile of really runny poo on the carpet It was a pork rib bone i gave him.

Is it worth persevering and trying again in a few days or maybe the pork doesn't suit him and I should try something different etc? Any advice welcome as I'm completely new to this
Thanks in advance!
Leona
sorry, can't really help you here, cause if I only try to give my dog a raw meet/bone, she really looks at, as if I woud offer her a cocktail gherkin

but I did read about, that raw pork or swine you shouldn't give
as it could contain the Aujeszky-Virus

check:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudorabies

but as I said, I'm not that great in BARF, was interested in but my dog wasn't

think you will get better and more helpful answers of other members
Dieseldaft
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-01-2013, 03:07 PM
Thanks for your reply Malpeki. I actually really enjoyed watching him eat it as it seemed so natural. Wasn't sure he would know what to do with it, but he was like a pro lol!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-01-2013, 03:15 PM
I would leave it for a couple of days Leona to see if his poos go back to normal, and then try him on a chicken wing. I know that some people do not give pork bones or products but chicken/lamb RMBs should be OK. Pereg only has poultry as I cannot get any other bone products for her.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-01-2013, 03:17 PM
I don't feed pork, I would say a beef bone would be better
Lynne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2013, 03:19 PM
Taffy loves bones but is not very happy with Pork ones. They give him the runs as well. I usually give Lamb or a big Beef marrow bone. Although the marrow can give them runs so I scrape most of it out with a thin knife & just leave enough for him to taste it. Gnawing on the knuckle part keeps him occupied for days
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2013, 03:21 PM
The UK is free from Aujeszky's Disease & has been since 1991 so there is very little chance of a dog developing the disease in the UK from eating pork

More pigs are reared & bred in the area in which I live than any other in the UK BTW
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-01-2013, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by Dieseldaft View Post
Thanks for your reply Malpeki. I actually really enjoyed watching him eat it as it seemed so natural. Wasn't sure he would know what to do with it, but he was like a pro lol!
oh you're very welcome
though I wasn't really a great help for you

but I just can imagine
mine is also always getting almost mad about, when she gets a bone, I just need to boil it before, but then....

...better than every TV programme
at all afterwards, as she does not like all the muck al over her face and then she's trying to clean her face everywhere, is crawling through the blanket on the couch head down ahead and so on, just too funny to watch
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-01-2013, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
The UK is free from Aujeszky's Disease & has been since 1991 so there is very little chance of a dog developing the disease in the UK from eating pork

More pigs are reared & bred in the area in which I live than any other in the UK BTW
ah, ok, thanks for the info
Sashatheboxer
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-01-2013, 05:16 PM
Do you just want to feed raw or a mix?

If you feed the occasional bone I would make it a beef bone. They are more digestible from my dogs experience and seem to cause less tummy upsets.

If you wish to feed raw in its entirety you need to alternate from beef, to lamb to chicken to Turkey etc.
My friend feeds her dogs on a raw diet. But from what I gather she doesnt feed them Pork. When feeding chicken/poultry in general it is a whole carcass not just pieces of meat. Bones are an important part of the diet, as well as offal such as beef hearts etc. Go easy with feeding liver, too much is bad for your dog and will cause the squits etc.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >