Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jerry's Mam
New Member!
Female 

19-10-2009, 03:54 PM

Separation anxiety-first time &only when we go to bed

Hi all,

We got Jerry a 5 1/2 yr Goldie in Jan. He was a rescue,the reason his owners no longer wanted him was because he had issues with her dogs, anyway we are working on this and touch wood all seems to be going OK with that issue.

From the time we got Jerry he has always slept in the kitchen as the floor is vinyl and easily cleaned, he has had a few bowel issues (normally a very clean dog, but has had uncontrollable diarrhoea before )apart from the first night away from his old home, has always gone to bed a happy dog. This all changed last night and he cried nonstop for an hour. I got up the first time he cried and let him out in the garden but he didn’t want to go. So I went back to bed and tried to ignore, he then scratched the door. After an hour I got up and opened the door and he settled in the front room.

Any reason why he would cry like this?

My boyfriend seems to believe it is because we allowed him upstairs for the first time on Saturday morning as a treat and now he is just trying it on.

I am not convinced as he didn’t want to come upstairs or at least didn’t try to when he was in the front room, and stopped crying once the kitchen door was open.

Any advice for if he tries this again?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2009, 03:58 PM
have there been any fireworks going off? or foxes being noisey late at night?

my gut says as hes been well behaved to this point there must have been a trigger, the hard part is finding the trigger,
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2009, 03:59 PM
It is possible your boyfriend is right, but bearing in mind the time of year, I'm wondering whether there were any fireworks going off?

Do you know how he is with fireworks?
Jerry's Mam
New Member!
Female 

19-10-2009, 05:13 PM
There had been fireworks earlier in the evening but none when he went to bed. He doesnt really like fireworks but wasnt really showing huge signs of stress.

Thanks for the replies I will let you know how we get on tonight. Fingers crossed it was just a one off.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2009, 05:21 PM
When you go up to bed try scattering some kiibble over the floor so he associates you leaving with good things! Also itll keep him busy searching for it for 10 mins!

Has he got a comfy bed? You said he was on vinyl?

Its hard cos if he barks and whines and you rush down it could lead to him doing it more, but on the other hand if he is barking to be let out for the toilet you should go down. I would not rush down when he barks, but wait for a silence before going in.
Jerry's Mam
New Member!
Female 

19-10-2009, 05:49 PM
Yeah he has a comfy bed and fleece blanket.

Thanks for the advice, will give it a go and see what happens.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2009, 06:58 AM
I always advocate listening to the dog, esp. if previously the dog has been well behaved and this is an alteration in behaviour.

My dogs once hated me leaving the bedroom (I lived in a flat) and it took me a while to work out tha this was because the people upstairs had taken up carpet and were noisy walking above my dogs at night,and it frightened them. I moved bedrooms so the dogs were left under a carepeted area and the problem was luckily solved.

Dogs are basically honest. Yes, they can be manipulative too but I suspect if he is actually crying he is distressed and wanting reassurance or to be with you due to anxiety/anticipation/fear..... it sounds like it was fireworks, which may even have gone off in the distance again, only heard by him.

For the fireworks season, I'd suggest getting a DAP diffuser and keep it plugged in 24/7; it will help take the edge off anxiety but he may still need company at night...

Wys
x
Jerry's Mam
New Member!
Female 

20-10-2009, 06:26 PM
Thanks for all the replies, it seems it may have been a one off, probably fireworks, because last night we didn't hear him cry or whimper once, and that was back in his usual sleeping place with a closed door.

Hopefully that'll be the end of it, but obviously this time of year we might have a couple more incidents