View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Doglistener
Dogsey Senior

01-04-2005, 06:16 AM

Games of Tug

This one is always a bit contentious as I am aware many people like playing tug with their pets. I just find I have to undo some of the behavioural problems that this activity/game sometimes causes.

20. Games of Tug: I don’t like games of tug at any time, except with a particularly timid or frightened dog, then I will play and let the dog win to build up some confidence.

However I never ever play tug with a puppy whilst it has its puppy/piranha teeth. It actually has little or no jaw muscles at this time therefore you can dislocate the jaw or even misalign the teeth by playing roughhouse tug games.

You may also be setting the scene for aggressive confrontations later in the puppy’s growth cycle by playing this type of game. It would be better playing games of find, hide little bits of treats in the house and garden and encourage the dog to search them out, or ball games these all help dispel some of the pup’s energies and to stimulate the mind. Rather than stimulate the aggression predatory side of the pup.

Stan
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2005, 09:37 AM
I actually agree with this because the first few days Archie was here, we played tug and he started getting a bit big for his boots

Now we just throw balls for him, and other games that don't involve strength. Sometimes he tries to play tug with my trouserleg but we're working on correcting that (bitter apple heehee )
minty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-04-2005, 12:41 PM
Stan excellent point about playing tug concerning the puppys teeth i have seen numerous staffords teeth and mouths ruined by playing tug and springpole to early in life also bones given to often before the teeth are well set do a lot of damage as well
Abbas_786
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-04-2005, 07:10 PM
My pup is 6months old is he ok 2play tug with? i do play it with him and the breeder as even recommened i get a springpole in my back yard 4him!
Doglistener
Dogsey Senior

03-04-2005, 08:19 AM
Originally Posted by Abbas_786
My pup is 6months old is he ok 2play tug with? i do play it with him and the breeder as even recommened i get a springpole in my back yard 4him!
Hi

it takes anything between 5 and 8 months for the new teeth to set correctly in the jaw, therefore given the puppy teeth do not drop out until about 4 /4.5 months then you are looking at a year before it is totally safe.

Stan