Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
buzzie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-10-2009, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by gsdmad View Post
i'd go as far to say that it is incredibly rare to find an aggressive dog that has been brought up and socialized correctly by its owners.
I don't know if I really agree with that but that is not to say that socialization doesn't help.

So strange your name young man is Mr. Bull without the Bull Dog listed but I will leave it at that.
Petrina
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-10-2009, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by John Bull View Post
Can I throw this one at you ?

I have a Rottie and he is a bundle of love and affection, but when he spots somebody walking past the house or anything strange, he is a One Dog Apocalypse.
He's a guarding breed, what did you expect?

He likes what he`s got, including us and intends to keep it.

Which dogs do you all feel are the most aggressive ?
I don't believe in breed bias.

I do not mean socially with people in the street, but in a protective sense about the home and their owners.
Any guarding breed will appear aggressive when they're just doing their job. It's a warning bark....

Staffs make rubbish guard dogs, as do retrievers. My BF's neighbours got their house cleared out, the dog didn't even bark!

On the net, there are many lists of dogs rated in terms of aggressivenes, here is one ;-
========
* Chow Chows are one-person dogs that tend to bite without any warning. They are also a bit ferocious around strangers, and can be quite a tenacious fighter. So make sure to discipline this dog and set right from wrong, immediately.
* The Papillon is fiercely loyal of their owners - to a fault. They can be quite possessive and standoffish to strangers.
* Old English Sheepdogs are very protective of their owners so they might be aggressive if anybody tends to be too close to its owners.
* A Llasa Apso often gets cranky around kids.
* Rottweilers are extremely protective of their masters.
* Chihuahuas aren't too fond of kids. They'd rather be with adults than play around with tots.
* Toy Poodles bite people and other animals out of self defense. Unfortunately, 'playing' according to you may be perceived as a form of 'attack' to them.
* Dachshunds aren't known for their patience.
* Jack Russell Terriers are feisty creatures who require early training to prevent long-term biting and digging problems.
* Giant Schnauzers are very dominant. They often challenge adults, particularly strangers.
* Cocker Spaniels often suffer from a dangerous genetic disease known as "rage syndrome." This syndrome causes spontaneous violent action against not strangers, but actual family members. Many Spaniels have been put down because of this unwanted behavior. Check with the breeder to ensure your Spaniel is free from this dangerous dog disease.
* The Pekingese isn't all that tolerant of strangers.
* Miniature Pinschers usually have aggression issues because they've got this "big dog-little body" mind set going on.
========
OK, let it fly.
John Bull
Where on earth did you get that list from? (I hate it when people quote stuff and don't say where from!) It's total rubbish, do Giant Schnauzer owners really think their dog wants to take over the world?
Petrina
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-10-2009, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by gsdmad View Post
i'd go as far to say that it is incredibly rare to find an aggressive dog that has been brought up and socialized correctly by its owners.
What makes you say that?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-10-2009, 03:55 PM
You`ve got it in a nutshell. MAN is a cancerous pox on this planet and the biggest threat to our ecology than any Global Warming or natural catastrophe can ever achieve.

Jeezzzzzz, lets just all top ourselves shall we

If our destiny is to be determined by any factor whatsoever, then it is not natural events or planetary geological cycles that will cause our ultimate destruction - IT IS MAN.
John Bull

After the above statement... I think I will follow my own advice
k9crew
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-10-2009, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Animals only fight when necessary, unlike Man.
I disagree.
Animals, INCLUDING Man, don't always fight when necessary.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by k9crew View Post
I disagree.
sigh....

of course you do.
John Bull
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-10-2009, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by Petrina View Post
Where on earth did you get that list from? (I hate it when people quote stuff and don't say where from!) It's total rubbish, do Giant Schnauzer owners really think their dog wants to take over the world?
OK Petrina, I tossed it in for pure discussion. I know it looks rubbish, but you can get any number of such lists.

It is really the subject of which dogs are the more aggressive that I am stressing. It can obviously become a personal opinion question, but I believe a ranking of this nature has substantial factual evidence.
John Bull
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2009, 05:18 PM
Well I don't class a dog guarding it's property as aggressive - Marius sometimes gives voice at strangers passing by.

I guess it changes from being a natural guard, to aggression when it is out of control?

I think Rotties are one of the best natural guard dogs in the world (as are GSD's which I've also owned), but wouldn't agree that they are naturally the most aggressive. Of course, if someone channels these natural instincts in the wrong way, they can become outwardly aggressive and certainly would be a formidable dog to content with if so.

Some of the most highly aggressive dogs I have met in recent years have been breeds that most people would have in their top ten of ideal family pets!!!

I think a lot of breeds who are made out to be aggressive would not be so if given the correct training, socialization, walks and mental stimulus!
Briard Lover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-10-2009, 07:54 PM
You`ve got it in a nutshell. MAN is a cancerous pox on this planet and the biggest threat to our ecology than any Global Warming or natural catastrophe can ever achieve.

If our destiny is to be determined by any factor whatsoever, then it is not natural events or planetary geological cycles that will cause our ultimate destruction - IT IS MAN.

John Bull

The sooner the human race becomes extinct the better for the planet, it may have a chance to recover from the damage we have done.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-10-2009, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
sigh....

of course you do.
sigh...........

you do, of course
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »