Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2007, 07:55 PM

Border Terrier

Breed standard.
General appearance.
Essentially a working terrier.

Characteristics
Capable of following a horse, combining activity with gameness.

Temperament
Active and game as previously stated.

Head and Skull
Head like that of an otter moderately broad in skull, with short strong muzzle. Black nose preferable, liver- or flesh-coloured one not a serious fault.

Eyes
Dark with a keen expression.

Ears
Small, V-shaped; of moderate thickness, and dropping forward close to the cheek.

Mouth
Scissor bite, i.e. upper teeth closely overlapping lower teeth and set square to the jaws. Level bite acceptable. Undershot or overshot a major fault and highly undesirable.

Neck

Of moderate length.

Forequarters
Forelegs straight, not too heavy in bone.

Body
Deep, narrow, fairly long. Ribs carried well back, but not oversprung, as a terrier should be capable of being spanned by both hands behind the shoulder. Loins strong.

Hindquarters
Racy.

Feet
Small with thick pads.

Tail
Moderately short; fairly thick at base, then tapering. Set high, carried gaily, but not curled over back.

Gait/Movement
Has the soundness to follow a horse.

Coat
Harsh and dense; with close undercoat. Skin must be thick.

Colour
Red, wheaten, grizzle and tan, or blue and tan.

Size
Weight: dogs: 6-7 kgs (13-151/2 lbs); bitches: 5-6.5 kgs (111/2 -14 lbs).

Faults

Faults Any departure from the foregoing points should be considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in exact proportion to its degree, its effect on the terrier's ability to work, and the health and welfare of the dog.

Dog at 6mths.

Same dog a week or so ago at almost 9mths.

Off you go!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2007, 08:49 PM
I think he's a very good example of a Border to be honest! Just needs to mature a bit but he's still a baby. I'd be very pleased if he were mine!
Becky
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2007, 09:00 PM
I don't really know my terriers Dawn but I like him, he looks racy not like some of the stumpier borders i've seen around here. Nice neck and topline. Correct tail carriage, his tail seems to look longer in the second pic than the third, perhaps as he has grown he has caught up with it! Lovely hindquaters. Nice head, nicely set dark ears, keen concentrated expression.

Looks to have a lovely stride on the move too, he is super Dawn give him to me please!