Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-06-2013, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by Mpaige View Post
This sounds awful because i know all dogs are pretty much the same but there must be something i can do bhe is such a scrounger. Jumping up to the side to sniff if were dishing up he just litraly scrounges anywhere for a crumb of food hes getting so bad has anyone got any tips? Thanks.
Don't have him in the kitchen when you are working with food, I have gates up so my dogs can be in the next room and still see me, I can then do what I want without worrying if I am going to fall over one. I have mobility problems so have to be careful what I am doing if the dogs are with me.

The man who said that the dominant wolf ate first has since said he was wrong, the pups and cubs eat first because they are the future of the species so feeding after our dogs to show them we are boss is wrong.

To old fashioned trainers we should go through doors first, also up and down stairs, I get my dogs to go through doors, up and down stairs before me or one would have me on the floor.

I exercise my dogs with a mobility scooter, my dogs love it as they can go faster.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2013, 02:19 PM
Must say I have never liked the go through doors first bit and never done it with mine, I like to make sure it's safe before they walk out and get a chance to get to the bed first if we heading into the bedroom LOL
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-06-2013, 06:05 PM
All my dogs have loved food, but I have to say that cocker spaniels are in a class of their own.
cloggy
New Member!
Female 

10-06-2013, 10:34 PM
Im going to be hated for this but I actually hate dogs 'scrounging' when we are eating. We always eat at the table as a family and nothing worse than a drooling dog. I am very firm about 'in your bed' if this has ever happened, although once the meal has finished then its ok to come and look hopeful for scraps. I don't sit next to my dog looking hopeful or trying to pinch his food so dont expect it of him.. just saying xx
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2013, 07:59 AM
I think we all have things we tolerate that others wouldn't so lucky really dogs are fairly adaptable and will happily put up with us all really LOL
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2013, 08:04 AM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
I think we all have things we tolerate that others wouldn't so lucky really dogs are fairly adaptable and will happily put up with us all really LOL
Yes not everyone 'raises' their dogs according to the rulebook. But, as long as we are happy with our dogs and they are happy with us and not a danger to anyone else - well that's alright then!

Some wouldn't abide dogs on beds or furniture, some will not tolerate 'licking'!

I've got a sister and one friend who both are VERY hot on the no begging stuff and very proud they've taught their dogs not to do it. However, where one of them is concerned, they've never yet managed to stop their dog yanking their arm from its socket when out on a lead!

Now if I couldn't stop my dog doing that - it really would spoil a large portion of my daily life - I enjoy our walks as much as she does! I spend far more time walking than I do eating!
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-06-2013, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by cloggy View Post
Im going to be hated for this but I actually hate dogs 'scrounging' when we are eating. We always eat at the table as a family and nothing worse than a drooling dog. I am very firm about 'in your bed' if this has ever happened, although once the meal has finished then its ok to come and look hopeful for scraps. I don't sit next to my dog looking hopeful or trying to pinch his food so dont expect it of him.. just saying xx
Why should you be hated because you don't like your dog scrounging when eating? I never feed my dogs when I am eating, never have done, all my dogs have accepted this and do their own thing except 1, Bonnie, even though she has never been given anything when I am eating she is still very hopeful. I think this goes back to when my husband was alive, he had a stroke and often dropped things, only Bonnie was there to grab what was dropped. None of my other dogs were with me when hubby was here.

Dogs have to live in our society and it is up to us to teach them to do this as best we can with love and kindness, just because someone doesn't like their dog doing something and won't allow it doesn't mean it is wrong.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2