Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2010, 06:13 PM

Pink hairless nose = sunburn??

I was wondering if any of you lovely people with dogs lacking hair on the end of their nose can advise me on this.

Our previous dogs were well furred up as it were, and so I have never had to worry before, but our new boy has no hair around his nose and the skin turns pink at the drop of an allergen. Is there anything that I can do to prevent sunburn, or treat it if it happens? He does seem to love to lie in the sun so I can see that this may become a problem
dreamaday
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-04-2010, 07:02 PM
Hi Sally, you could try putting a little waterproof sunblock on his beak!
I had a white cat years ago with an almost hairless white nose that went very pink in the summer, the vet recommended a dab of sunblock.
The OH burns as soon as he pokes his head out of the door and has found P20 to be excellent stuff, one application lasts all day, so I imagine it would be good on the woofer too. (it is a bit pricey tho)

How is Jimmi these days?
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2010, 07:14 PM
Hi Dreamaday, thank you for that - I did wonder about the effects of him licking off any cream though?! (Not your OH, Jimmi).

Jimmi is coming on a treat, how about your DT hound?
dreamaday
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-04-2010, 07:29 PM
lol @ the licking

I guess once its soaked/dried it shouldnt be too bad. I know the P20 dries really quickly, it feels like oil but just disappears in no time, (I have to rub it into the hubbys thinning patch on his head, the first time we tried it we fully expected him to look like a greasy haired lout, but it just evaporated, its magic stuff, sorry to keep banging on about it )

Jas is doing really well thanks, he is lovley in the house, full of character and settles really easily, outside is another matter, talk about watching a switch flick in his head
He is still a nightmare on the lead, but we have seen some improvement from the day we got him. His recall is improving all the time but he is a bit of a pain chasing after other dogs. I think I am starting to look like the mad dog lady, calling, waving my arms, playing, running, hiding and waving a tennis ball at him, with treat bag, ball bag, lead & halti all hanging from my person It is working tho, I am generally more interesting than most dogs on our walks now!!!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2010, 07:35 PM
Mo is always lying in the sun with her ears flapping and I worry that she will burn on the inside!
I use a high factor childrens sunblock. So far she has been fine.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2010, 07:40 PM
Thank you both....I will give that a go when (or should that be if?) the sun really gains some strength.

Dreamaday, (*somewhat smugly) Jimmi is now wonderful with other dogs, and sits for his treat until they have passed by! Other things are not good, but hey ho, you cannot have everything!
dreamaday
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-04-2010, 08:00 PM
everyone is allowed a lil smugness I'm glad he is making progress too, I'm sure time will be the cure for his other things.