View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 11:01 PM

Are we being over-critical of this vet...?

Recently Dexter had a problem with one ear; the vet prescribed steroids and anti biotics. Dex is very excitable and I had to help hold him still so the vet could actually examine him.

Last week my OH and I took Dex back to the vet - just for a follow-up. The vet asked me to turn Dexter's ear over, clearly unwilling to do so himself.

When we'd finished and went to pay the receptionist, she already had a note on her screen saying we were not being charged - because the vet felt he hadn't been able to perform a 'normal' examination of Dex's ears.

I guess my question is: wouldn't a vet normally be a bit more adept at handling a nervous dog....?

This vet is really popular in our area and has been around for decades.

But afterwards it occurred to me that the vet could presumably just have put a soft temporary muzzle on Dexter - if he was that worried about being bitten - so he could examine him properly??? My OH was also very unimpressed.

Please tell me if we're being over critical!

Thank you
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 08:56 AM
Perhaps you should just ask your vet why he felt that a proper examination wasn't necessary? Or you could offer to put a muzzle on him yourself?

It may be that the brief look he got was enough to tell him that the antibiotics were working, or the questions he asked were sufficient for him to tell?

Do you have to take Dexter back again? If so, ask him then. If not, then maybe start teaching Dexter that handling all over, including eyes, ears, mouth, under tail etc, are good things by building positive associations with being lightly btouched in those places. Then build up to more firm touches etc. It can only help for future vet visits
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 09:31 AM
Perhaps he didn`t feel that putting a scope down his ear canal was worth the resulting stress and possible need for sedation? Why not talk to your vet.
A follow-up consultation fee isn`t charged at my vet anyway.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 09:38 AM
I agree he probably did as little as necessary so as not to stress Dexter too much. You turning his ear was maybe kinder than the vet doing it.
If you are worried then, yes, certainly ask questions. If he is improving then alls well and good.
My vet doesn't charge for follow ups either.
Hope Dex is ok now x
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 09:55 AM
It would cover him if anything went very wrong afterwards though.

Not sure what I'd think but I'd chat it over with the vet.

Ours are great, I take a video of Pippin in for his lameness and get charged a consultation fee

I'd do as suggested so that even if the vet can't get near them next time you have a better chance.

rune
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Thanks guys

You are right in that I need to try and help Dex be calmer when being examined. He goes beserk if anyone tries to even approach him wearing gloves or tries to look in his ears.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
Thanks guys

You are right in that I need to try and help Dex be calmer when being examined. He goes beserk if anyone tries to even approach him wearing gloves or tries to look in his ears.
I think that possibly you have just answered your own question! The vet would clearly have had great trouble in doing a normal examination, and took the best route possible which was asking you to gently open the ear thereby keeping stress levels to a minimum.

I think that he sounds very caring, because some would either try to be more forceful, or would insist on sedation. Indeed, sedation could well be necessary at some point in the future, but perhaps your vet should be given the benefit of the doubt on this occasion and also be thanked for not upsetting your dog too much.

Our vet often does not charge for follow up appointments, so that is not an indication of guilt or anything else, but if you are seriously worried then have a chat with him. Good luck with those ears!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
Thanks guys

exactly! i get really fed up with owners thinking we have magical powers to do to dogs what their own owners cannot!

soz mini rant over

if the vet thought it was serious enough im sure he would of offered a sedation/ga for an otoscopy... the other thing if if his ear is really inflamed not only would it hurt to poke an otoscope down it,it would be pointless because he would not be able to see down a narrowed ear canal.in that case he would be given meds to open it up then he would try again.