Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2010, 05:20 PM

Georgie and his mange again - not good news

I noticed over the week-end that Georgie is starting to get the very same smelly sores on his neck and groin area, just like it started last time, and I really don't want to see it getting as bad as it was, so I've rung the vet and asked if he can have more ab's in the hope that it will stem it again.

It's not looking good, because on my last visit to the vets a month ago, although it was completely healed up and cleared (the demodectic mange), he said if it does come back, then he'll just have to stay on ab's until he can't tolerate them anymore

Apart from that though, he's very happy and chirpy and enjoying getting out each day or playing with Zena if he's got the energy left, but the cushings is causing this, so I suppose the ab's it will have to be then from now on.. Poor old Georgie, with a lifetime of suffering with skin conditions, he will now end it with yet another skin complaint, but hopefully, that will be a long while yet, just depends how long his body can cope with the ab's. Extra tlc for him again then, as if he doesn't get enough!!!
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2010, 05:24 PM
Oh no, poor baby Georgie!! Give him a huge hug from me H, poor chap, I do love your boy!! xxx
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2010, 05:49 PM
Oh poor Georgie and poor you. I hope the ab's work for a long while.
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-11-2010, 05:55 PM
Poor Georgie, hope the anti biotics kick in soon and he feels better.

Is he on prednisolone(sp) for his cushings? I'm only asking as I know someone that had a dachshund with cushings and when he was put on prednisolone for it his itchy bald spots on his skin cleared up and his skin and coat looked the healthiest it ever had.
I think it's a steroid, my Luna was on them for 2 years but that wasn't for cushings.

anway hope Georgie feels less itchy soon xx
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2010, 06:02 PM
Poor Georgie. Sorry to hear this, H. Really hope you manage to nip it in the bud again! Hugs for him. xx
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

01-11-2010, 06:03 PM
(((Hugs))) for you and Georgie.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2010, 06:07 PM
Oooh my poor Georgie, give him hugs from me and Mo.
You must be sooo anxious, you have been through so much with him, {{{{hugs}}}} to you too.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2010, 07:20 PM
Poor Georgie and poor you. What a time he's had of things. I wouldnt worry about the long term use of A/B's to much. If they can improve the quality of his life then thats going to be better for him. Big hugs to your lovely old fella and lots of stinky terrier kisses from the wooly one! xx
fayeily
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-11-2010, 07:26 PM
Poor Georgie! Hope the abs do the job, poor little man
sending big sloppy Basset kisses xxxx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by settagirl View Post
Oh no, poor baby Georgie!! Give him a huge hug from me H, poor chap, I do love your boy!! xxx
I know you do Claire, he's a one off is old Georgie, I will do everything I can to help him out yet again, you know that.xxxx

Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Oh poor Georgie and poor you. I hope the ab's work for a long while.
Thanks Pilgrim, we've been through a lot since we took him on 6 years ago (or was it more??!) He's had 2 years resbite, and now he's got this cushings, he needs a bit of help I think.

Originally Posted by bugzy View Post
Poor Georgie, hope the anti biotics kick in soon and he feels better.

Is he on prednisolone(sp) for his cushings? I'm only asking as I know someone that had a dachshund with cushings and when he was put on prednisolone for it his itchy bald spots on his skin cleared up and his skin and coat looked the healthiest it ever had.
I think it's a steroid, my Luna was on them for 2 years but that wasn't for cushings.

anway hope Georgie feels less itchy soon xx
Thanks bugzy. Yes, he's lived on preds all his life, but we changed them over to the medrone-v a few years ago 2 or 3 maybe?) and I've never looked back, his skin has been brilliant, BUT, now that he's got this cushings disease, he has no immune system at all, and this demodectic mange takes over when there's no immune system (apparently). He still has his daily steroid though, and that probably helps a lot with the cushings, so thanks for that.xxx

Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Poor Georgie. Sorry to hear this, H. Really hope you manage to nip it in the bud again! Hugs for him. xx
Thanks Nicola. I left it too long last time, coz I honestly thought it was his usual hot spots, I didn't realise what it was until the vet told me, but I'm on the ball now! xxxxx

Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
(((Hugs))) for you and Georgie.
Thanks Lynn. Always summat with this boy isn't there,bless his heart, he's been through so, so much all of his life since he was a puppy.xxxx

Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Oooh my poor Georgie, give him hugs from me and Mo.
You must be sooo anxious, you have been through so much with him, {{{{hugs}}}} to you too.
Thanks Jen, he'll get over it again hopefully with those ab's they did a wonderful job last time, his skin on his belly was like a baby's bum, I just hope they work like that forever for him now.xxxxxx

Originally Posted by tillytheterrier View Post
Poor Georgie and poor you. What a time he's had of things. I wouldnt worry about the long term use of A/B's to much. If they can improve the quality of his life then thats going to be better for him. Big hugs to your lovely old fella and lots of stinky terrier kisses from the wooly one! xx
Thanks Gerri. I know, it doesn't seem fair for such an adorable, big,furry lump as old Georgie. I recognised the smell when I caught sight of the sore in his neck, so I'm hoping the vet will just prescribe them without me having to go through the trauma of taking the little "norty" with me too! I can't handle the pair of them in there together,although it's always a good laugh when we're all on the floor,and the vet is rather phwooooar, but then Zena always goes and spoils it all by barking at him eventually!!! He's got her sussed though and he absolutely adooooores old Georgie, he really cuddles him,it's so nice to have a vet like that!xxxx
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »