Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kimi
New Member!
Female 

27-02-2018, 12:46 PM

Dog insists on me watching him eat.

Hello, my dog Jax is 5. He recently has been insisting on haveing me watch him eat sometimes. He only does this with me. If I stay with him for a few minutes then slowly walk away sometimes he follows me & stops eating sometimes he doesn’t.
He will still eat at other times just insists on me being there sometimes.
He had major separation aniexity as a pup but understands people will come back now.
I am also 18 weeks prego with my first child. I figured it was playing a part in it just not sure how much. Just wondering if I should be concerned and if any one else has dealt with something similar.
Jax is boarder collie , husky , lab & St. Bernard btw.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-02-2018, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by Kimi View Post
Hello, my dog Jax is 5. He recently has been insisting on haveing me watch him eat sometimes. He only does this with me. If I stay with him for a few minutes then slowly walk away sometimes he follows me & stops eating sometimes he doesn’t.
He will still eat at other times just insists on me being there sometimes.
He had major separation aniexity as a pup but understands people will come back now.
I am also 18 weeks prego with my first child. I figured it was playing a part in it just not sure how much. Just wondering if I should be concerned and if any one else has dealt with something similar.
Jax is boarder collie , husky , lab & St. Bernard btw.
Well, I'm not prego.......doesn't often happen with a 72-year old male you see.................
But mine does the same just sometimes. His bowl is in the kitchen and if I walk out, he'll follow me rather than finish his meal. That gets put away for later.

Welcome to the board.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2018, 02:10 AM
Mine are the same - i dont mind. Sometimes they will continue to feed, others they will come find what I am up to. They only take a few minutes to eat so why not just stay there
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-02-2018, 03:11 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Mine are the same - i dont mind. Sometimes they will continue to feed, others they will come find what I am up to. They only take a few minutes to eat so why not just stay there
Good point.
dogster
New Member!
Male 

28-02-2018, 07:12 AM
I think you can start with not watching him eat anymore. Otherwise he will get used to it a lot.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-02-2018, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by dogster View Post
I think you can start with not watching him eat anymore. Otherwise he will get used to it a lot.
Dogs won't starve themselves to death if there is food to be had.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2018, 11:03 AM
Feed him when you eat that way he has company and so do you.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2018, 11:14 AM
Rosie sometimes wants me to stay with her, sometimes she won't start eating until I go out the room. I just tend to go with the flow
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-02-2018, 02:18 PM
I have to watch mine eat, otherwise the fastest finisher would mount a raid the other one's dish. It isn't a chore though, I love watching them enjoy their food. I could do with less dish clattering though.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-02-2018, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by CaroleC View Post
I have to watch mine eat, otherwise the fastest finisher would mount a raid the other one's dish. It isn't a chore though, I love watching them enjoy their food. I could do with less dish clattering though.
Same here tbh but they eat so quickly it takes about a minute of my time. It's also good to know each one is getting the right amount and ensure each one is not just eating but relishing their food.