Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 07:57 PM

Travellers' Dogs

Some weeks ago, a group of travellers (not Gypsies) moved onto a little car park down by the river...........the fact that they have totally ruined that area is not the subject under discussion but it does make my blood boil.

These people have four dogs - an Alsation and three staffie types, all of which are tied up outside the caravans.

The Alsation I feel, is predominantly friendly although barks a great deal, but the others are bordering on manic aggressive, and it does make negotiation of the path alongside where they are tethered rather worrying!

Now my question is this:

Are these dogs borderline cruelty cases? My observations over the weeks are as follows, and I am still not sure.

a) They are out in all weathers on short chains. Only in the last two days have shelters been provided for them.

b) No water is evident, and we saw all the dogs licking the snow.

c) They are not thin, nor in bad condition.

d) When they all start screaming and barking when someone walks by, one of the travellers will come out and yell at the dogs, then yank on the chains.

e) The dogs are clearly positioned as guards for the camp.....they are not pets.

Perhaps I am being too soft and sensitive, but what life are these dogs having?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 08:00 PM
I'm surprised when you say they are travellers but not gypsies, coz normally, these types look after their dogs well don't they? We had some in a small car park on a favourite walk of mine, so I avoided the place like the plague for a while coz they had dogs that they walked, but friends of mine said they were all nice people and the dogs were all friendly.

Might be worth a phone call to the RSPCA for what it's worth perhaps? I couldn't imagine either of mine living outside in this weather, it's darn right cruel!!! If you made that phone call, at least they might just pop up there and take a look for themselves, especially as you see no water, coz that's one of the criteria for a visit, let alone out in this weather!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 08:05 PM
Hi there Helena!!

Yes, the true Gypsies do look after all their animals - dogs and ponies alike, but these people to me are the pits. They pay no taxes and pile up their filth expecting it to be removed. They empty their loos down the river bank, and that area is now a total health hazard.

I have been in touch with the Council and they are in the process of trying to evict them, and they have also sent a dog warden down there to assess the dogs.

The warden was not convinced that the dogs were a) safe, or b) well looked after. I will contact him again tomorrow, and if there is no joy, then will ring the RSPCA but to be honest I have no faith in them whatsoever
scout75
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-12-2010, 08:29 PM
but what life are these dogs having?
A miserable one.

My GSD was found on a travellers site, tied to a tree and weighing 18kg. They left him behind when they moved on.

I would be surprised if the RSPCA do anything (although they should).
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 08:34 PM
So sad more than sad really, it's bladdy outrageous that dogs are treated like this. Well done Sally, keep badgering them (the Council) and you might get somewhere!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 08:39 PM
They will do something as they should have adequate shelter food and water at all times.

Maybe its since they went out that they have built the shelters so they can keep them?
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 08:42 PM
If they built shelters over the last 2 days then it's more than likely the RSPCA have already been called out to them. They may have had water under the vans - you may not have seen it due to them being manic, perhaps?
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by scout75 View Post
A miserable one.

My GSD was found on a travellers site, tied to a tree and weighing 18kg. They left him behind when they moved on.

I would be surprised if the RSPCA do anything (although they should).
No, they are not in the least bit interested. No surprise there. Well done you for rescuing your chap.
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
So sad more than sad really, it's bladdy outrageous that dogs are treated like this. Well done Sally, keep badgering them (the Council) and you might get somewhere!
I am on the case Helena.......but the Council have to "play by the rules" apparently. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
They will do something as they should have adequate shelter food and water at all times.

Maybe its since they went out that they have built the shelters so they can keep them?
the shelter is hardly adequate, well not to my mind anyway. The poor Alsatian has a wooden kennel that is just about right for a terrier. The staffie x's have wire cages with a bit of plastic over the top. the temperature is currently about minus 15.

Originally Posted by SLB View Post
If they built shelters over the last 2 days then it's more than likely the RSPCA have already been called out to them. They may have had water under the vans - you may not have seen it due to them being manic, perhaps?
No, the RSPCA are not interested - on some days there are water bowls, and on others there are not. It is on these "not" days that the dogs are frantically licking the snow.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 09:26 PM
I'm surprised when you say they are travellers but not gypsies, coz normally, these types look after their dogs well don't they?
The ones I've had the misfortune of dealing with (they invaded the site I worked on as a security guard several times coz the company was too cheap to fix the security systems) didn't look after theirs at all. Several people were bitten simply for walking past the area, the dogs were scruffy, filthy and skinny, got kicked and hit and were just not taken care of at all. RSPCA didn't give a monkeys in that situation either. Nor did the police or the dog warden despite the bites.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
The ones I've had the misfortune of dealing with (they invaded the site I worked on as a security guard several times coz the company was too cheap to fix the security systems) didn't look after theirs at all. Several people were bitten simply for walking past the area, the dogs were scruffy, filthy and skinny, got kicked and hit and were just not taken care of at all. RSPCA didn't give a monkeys in that situation either. Nor did the police or the dog warden despite the bites.
Exactly Sarah...........these people are not true Gypsies, just dodgers of tax in all it's forms, whilst destroying places of beauty and making them no go areas for others. True Romanies take care of their animals as I said before, but these people seem to only have dogs to warn them when people are passing by.

I feel like taking blankets down there, but the reception may be less than friendly and I doubt that the dogs would benefit
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »