Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2010, 09:03 PM

Water infection or incontinence?

Hi,

Just a quick question to see if anyone knows how to tell the difference between a water infection and incontinence?

Baically we've noticed that sometimes when Aura is laying down she appears to leak wee. It's not all the time though.

I'm wondering now if she has a water infection, although she doesn't have any discharge, and she's not drinking any more than usual, or if she's a little incontinent due to her being a large breed and speyed?

I will pop her into the vets anyway to get her checked over, but was wondering if any of you had any ideas?

thanks.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 09:10 PM
hi
both are possible...no way of telling without a sample being 'dipsticked'..grab a sample in the morn and drop it into your vets,they should be able to tell you in minutes .
hope it gets sorted soon
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2010, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
hi
both are possible...no way of telling without a sample being 'dipsticked'..grab a sample in the morn and drop it into your vets,they should be able to tell you in minutes .
hope it gets sorted soon
Thanks Tupac,

Do you have any idea how I can get a sample from her? she crouches so low to the ground to pee i'm not sure I could sneek a container under her to catch it?
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 09:21 PM
Hi, re the wee sample - if you are unable to shove a saucer or other very shallow container underneath Aura, and I know how difficult it can be to act quickly enough!! Another solution is to put a wad of clean kitchen towel or similar down, but again you have to be very quick........and of course then comes the task of wringing it out into a clean container!!

Bitches are not easy, but then again dogs have their own ways of avoiding collection of wee samples Bear in mind that the Vet only needs a tiny amount for testing, so even if your saucer is not in exactly the right place, it may collect enough. Of course, Aura may be horrified at your intrusion on her personal affairs, and might very well refuse to go until you turn your back for one second................
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 09:45 PM
Cut the bottom out of a plastic milk container, or lemonade bottle, you can cut the rim quite low down, sterilise well by running under hot water for about 30 seconds, dab dry with clean kitchen towel or tissue.

Wait until you bitch is in mid flow and then push the collector under her bottom. No one sits closer to the ground than our Katie, you will get a look of horror but by this time she wont be stopping,hopefully as she will be in mid flow.

Make sure the bottle is well clean and sterilised, rinse thoroughly with clean water, preferably leaving upside down overnight to dry. Empty your collection into the bottle and leave into your vets. Try and get the sample to the vets within an hour of collection

Cystitis is very common in bitches - some of them like Katie and maybe your girl sit so close to the ground, its easy for them to pick up all sorts of bacteria.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 09:58 PM
Id go for the urinary incontinence, water infections usually mean very frequent weeing, squatting a lot. If it is the sphincter muscle thingy from spaying, Im expect something like Propalin may be prescribed, usually very successful.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Id go for the urinary incontinence, water infections usually mean very frequent weeing, squatting a lot. If it is the sphincter muscle thingy from spaying, Im expect something like Propalin may be prescribed, usually very successful.
but they shouldnt prescribe it without checking a sample first. ... we use incurin

is your girlie on the heavier side?
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2010, 10:28 PM
Thank you everyone,

I'll attempt to get a sample tomorrow morning and pop it into the vet's for them to test, and see how we go from there, fingers crossed it's just a water infection, but if it is incontinence then i'll ask about the propalin.
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2010, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
but they shouldnt prescribe it without checking a sample first. ... we use incurin

is your girlie on the heavier side?
I wouldn't say she is heavy, but then she's not skinny either. Her ribs are covered but you can still see them