Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
RachelPitts
New Member!
Female 

05-01-2018, 06:47 PM

Is my dog too skinny?

Hi everyone. My dog is very sensitive to certain canned foods. It seems like I've tried about everything, but he will have bouts of diarreah (usually all over my carpet). It has been increasingly difficult to understand what it is.

He seems to do best with grain-free, of course, but the last couple times I've fed him he has had terrible diarreah. Certain canned foods that are grain-free but very "pureed" and chicken based seem to be the worst. Like... the more blended it is the worse. I switch between feeding him from twice to once a day, depending on what his stomach is doing. It's difficult and I worry.

I am honestly thinking of just buying and cooking chicken breasts for him - 2 a day. Would THAT be okay?

Anyway, my main concern is that he looks thin? According to charts/pictures, though, he seems to look somewhat on the "healthy" side. That's why I'm here to ask you. Is my dog too thin? I cannot exactly see ribs but of course I feel them. And the bones on he back above his butt end stick out a bit to me.

I am attaching photos - sorry for the poor quality - hard to get him standing.
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	5860  
RachelPitts
New Member!
Female 

Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-01-2018, 07:31 PM
I think chicken breasts are OK. We have a friend with two Yorkies and that's all they get.
It isn't what I would do. Ours is a bit fussy too so gets a mixture of wet and dry plus a carrot. Sometimes a bite of banana.

Welcome BTW!
RachelPitts
New Member!
Female 

05-01-2018, 07:34 PM
Thank you! Do you think he looks too thin?
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-01-2018, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by RachelPitts View Post
Thank you! Do you think he looks too thin?
I don't know. But I think he won't willingly starve himself. Dogs generally don't. But ask your vet about his breed.

Chicken breast is a low fat healthy choice but, on its own, I don't think would provide all the elements to maintain good health and that lovely coat.

We had a dog trainer walk with us round a big park. One of the things she did was to throw out pieces of diced chicken breast so that he had to go find them. We still give him some but hide them in the garden. It's a game that stimulates interest and activity. You might try that.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2018, 08:17 PM
He is thin but not too thin ... lean I would describe him. Like in humans dogs are often too fed through overfeeding so as long as he is healthy I would not worry. Have you ever considered raw feeding?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-01-2018, 10:44 PM
He's very thin but that's hardly surprising if he's have problems with digesting his food. If tinned chicken has the worst effect on him you might want to start with something other than chicken. I'd start him on some frozen tripe.
COBAR5
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-01-2018, 05:55 AM
He looks quite slim, any less & he would look sick

I would change his food , kibble with different protein source
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2018, 11:01 AM
Tripe is an excellent suggestion. I would be very wary of feeding him anything un-natural like kibble. He will get everything he needs from raw tripe ... lovely dog btw xx
Forgotten
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-01-2018, 01:04 PM
Raw green tripe is an excellent suggestion, there are many dogs who are perfectly well and healthy living on a diet of green tripe. It offers beneficial bacteria and enzymes.
Green Tripe; It has a desirable calcium / phosphorous ratio of1.1. Green tripe's pH is acidic, the protein is 15.1% and the fat is 11.7%. It also has the correct proportions of Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids.
One of the best constituents of raw green tripe is lactobacillus acidophilus. This is one of the intestinal bacteria that keep unwanted bacteria such as e-coli, salmonella, and listeria from overpopulating and causing problems.
A balance of micro flora in the gut is extremely important to maintaining good health. These pro biotiocs help keep the animal's immune system in top shape.
It contains the following vitamins and minerals along with other naturally occurring goodness.
Vitamin E, Riboflavin, Niacin, Folate, VitaminB12, Pantothenic, Acid, Choline, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Sodium, Zinc, Copper, Manganese, Selenium.

Just don't cook it PHEW!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >